Author Topic: Painter not baking maps correctly  (Read 7344 times)

Anything I try to bake in Painter either refuses to bake or comes out wrong. This has been going back to March, part of which is apparently a known issue -> http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2531145#Comment_2531145

Although now most maps are refusing to bake. If by some miracle they do bake the smoothing is all over the place, even if the model has only hard smoothing set in maya exports.

I have a final project hand-in next month and at this point am pretty much tearing my hair out and not being able to finish anything...
Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:12:28 pm

What are your baking settings ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

So is this an issue with the software or am I doing something wrong here?

Still need some help here.

No need to bump the thread that often.
I will try to answer as soon as I can, right now we are very busy on some internal tasks.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I have the same problem. By the way post was "Read 118 times". So I guess we are not the only 2 people.

would you be able to post the models you are baking, high low and cage .fbx files?  I can take a look pretty quick.

In the mean time, make sure that both your high, low and cage meshes transforms are frozen and your UV fall with in the 0-1 range.

No need to bump the thread that often.
I will try to answer as soon as I can, right now we are very busy on some internal tasks.

Some comments with the best of the intentions:

- Perhaps "x" amount of days may not be considered too often, when some people needs to deliver a project and is also under pressure.

- There are well known issues with the baking feature, related to versions, not the process... I haven't updated beause of that; some examples:

2.5  & 2.5.1
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,15593.msg66336/highlight,normal+map+baking.html#msg66336

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16272.msg68417/highlight,baking.html#msg68417

And this last one (see last post about 2.6)

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16055.0.html

I have 2.4 now, and is hard to think in update with those problems, althoug my version have some bugs, is better than a broken baker... IMHO is a critical issue... is core of this software.

Again, this comments are with the best of the intentions.

Best regards.

Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:48:03 am

would you be able to post the models you are baking, high low and cage .fbx files?  I can take a look pretty quick.

In the mean time, make sure that both your high, low and cage meshes transforms are frozen and your UV fall with in the 0-1 range.
It happens with any mesh that I try. Everything worked fine in 2.4. But not in 2.5 or 2.6. I recorded short video showing the problem using crate from substance tutorials. First in 2.4 then 2.6, and same for demo sphere mesh:

I have hackintosh with GTX950 2gb. Maybe the card is the problem? But than again why it worked in 2.4?

I've attached the files, I also tried Triangulating the mesh but it produced the same results. It's odd because I have managed to bake another object off fine, but this one doesn't even want to retain the smoothing groups when I import to Painter. Thanks for giving it a look.

Some comments with the best of the intentions:

- Perhaps "x" amount of days may not be considered too often, when some people needs to deliver a project and is also under pressure.

Thank you for putting into words my feelings. I have a final project due soon which is worth most of my credits for my university course, to be brushed aside because of 'internal tasks' doesn't feel nice as a paying customer, especially when I'm still waiting for an answer or some help.

@jackddeane In your case, the baking works for me with your meshes but your high poly is almost the same as your low poly and we don't read smoothing groups and hard edges from the high poly, that's why you get smooth shading even after baking. You would need to tesselate your high poly much more if you want to keep hard edges everywhere.

@ilyaindra Your issue is different and I'm not sure whereit comes from, please attach a log file.

@ilyaindra Your issue is different and I'm not sure whereit comes from, please attach a log file.

Attaching log file. If it's different maybe I should create separate post?

Hey Jeremie thanks for taking a look. I understand about the smoothing, but the smoothing groups from my low poly aren't being applied in Painter 2.

Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:40:56 pm

Hi!

Any news about solutions for this issues? I see the changelog in 2.6.1, and there is nothing regarding to the baking process...