Author Topic: Painting behaving as if I have overlapped uvs when I don't  (Read 2936 times)

Hi There,

Whenever I paint on section A, paint appears on section B.  It's behaving as if I have overlapping uvs when I don't. 

Section 'b' is the creatures face and section 'a' is the eyes themselves.  They're very close to each other on the model.  But surely if I have a different uv shell it would be fine?

It's doing the same thing when I paint the claws,  paint shows up on the ends of the fingers when I try to paint on just the uv shell of the claws in uv view.

I thought it might have something to do with the high to low baking, but I've done that and that hasn't solved the problem. 

I'm very new to Painter, is there something I'm not getting?

I'm also getting an error when I bake the maps from high to low.  I've attached the log.

Cheers,
Mark
Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:15:00 am

Hey, is it possible to display the UVs, or to share the mesh?

Hi Vincent,

I don't think I can share the mesh due to the project.  I'll see if I can take a screenshot of the mesh this evening.

If I import the fbx into modo the meshes are separate for the face and eyes, there is no overlap or stacking.  Could it be a painting/masking mode?

Cheers,
Mark

are you using 2 different materials ?

No, at the moment I don't have any materials.  It's a new project and I'm just painting on a regular layer.

To paint surfaces that are very close to each other, switch your brush projection setting to UV, the default setting will paint in world space and can't differentiate polygons that are too close on top of each other.
Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:59:13 pm

To apint surfaces that are very close to each other, switch your brush projection setting to UV, the default setting will paint in world space and can't differenciate polygones that are too close on top of each other.

That's it, thanks Jeremie!  I thought it would be something like that, I just didn't know the software well enough.  Thanks for your help! 

Though, wouldn't it make sense to automatically switch to uv alignment when you are painting on the uv?

It depends, painting in UV mode will not paint over seams so sometimes you may still want to use Tangent space mode in the 2d view.