Author Topic: ETA For Firepro Support?  (Read 1894 times)

Hello there. Is there an ETA for Firepro support yet? I bought a used w9100 last summer after selling my Titan Black as the latter kept running out of VRAM while I was texture painting. I often paint highly complex mechanical models (1200+ objects) with many layers of components which limits how small I can break it into pieces before exporting as I often have to compare details between various parts which results in 50-100 UDIM tiles.

Yeah.  :-\

I know.  ::)

WTF?!?!?!?!  ;D

So herein lies the problem. I have put off the texturing component of my personal project for months hoping for Firepro support but it has not materialised and the program both runs absurdly slow and crashes randomly, even when left alone. I know that the program can handle it, it never slowed down until my Titan Black ran out of VRAM so I am confident that I can do what I want to achieve with more VRAM if only the program could support my card. If not then I will be forced to sell my Firepro so that I can purchase a Titan XP as I am not impressed with a 1070's viewport performance in Maya compared to the w9100 in which the former is almost as powerful as a Titan XM and I still want at least 12GB if VRAM. This of course limits my choices since I cannot justify spending what most people ask for a Titan XM used.

Please, give me some good news so that I can keep my card!  :'(

EDIT: WTH? I changed my user profile name from my email address (no idea why it was that in the first place) and it still stuck. I hope that does not stay like that for much longer.

EDIT02: Huh, attempting to delete the thread updated it. Nice.
Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:45:58 am

Substance Painter is not yet ready to handle 50/100 UDIMs at the moment.
You will have to scale down your project to be able to work with good performances.

We should have some news soon regarding the support of FirePros.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Substance Painter is not yet ready to handle 50/100 UDIMs at the moment.
You will have to scale down your project to be able to work with good performances.

We should have some news soon regarding the support of FirePros.

I know that this thread is a couple of weeks old but now that Firepros are supported the program works great! Something I guess I did not convey properly is that the software ran golden until I ran out of VRAM. No matter how many UDIMs I used, as long as I had enough VRAM there was no problem but as I had only 6GB on my old Titan Black, there were lots of them. I often had to compare details across UDIMs which makes breaking the models up into smaller chunks more difficult.

I was playing around with my heaviest files to deliberately crash the program... and it did not crash. Sweet! I took a file with 71 UDIMS, 1-4K textures, 3+ million polygons, and previewed it at full res. It became unusably slow (I was never able to preview that many textures with my Titan B which explains the performance hit) but I could quickly solo anything, change camera position or paint without slowdown, then unsolo it again just as fast. I could even do an Iray render and it used just under 7GB of VRAM on my 1070s, getting 1000 samples in 40 seconds! The only issue was the program was using over 40 gigs of RAM! Good thing I have 64.  ;)

Good work!   ;D

P.S. I do not literally mean breaking the model up into pieces, rather taking dozens of objects that comprise of the hardsurface models (which itself can comprise of thousands of objects), and fitting as many as I can into a single UDIM square before filling up the next. This can only go so far as some objects have portions of themselves covered/obscured by another object which would force me to put them on separate UDIMs to avoid painting over two objects at the same time in the 3D viewport. 

AH! Found a bug.

In a scene with only 12 Texture Sets, 2 of them 4K and painted on while the rest are 128x128 and untouched, I can easily tank and crash the program on my w9100. The scene will run fine until I isolate one of the texture sets and begin to paint on it as normal. I will then unhide all of the texture sets and the program will drop down to only a few FPS. If I re-isolate any of the texture sets and begin to work again its performance will return to normal but will crash after performing a few actions. Attempting to work on any of the textures sets with no isolation yields identical results, it will crash after any 2-5 actions/brush strokes.

This does not happen with any of my Nvidia cards.

Should I create a separate thread to discuss this?
Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:58:02 am

I know that this thread is a couple of weeks old but now that Firepros are supported the program works great!

Hey guys,

So... am I to understand that there is AMD FirePro D700 support now with Painter and Designer...?

Thanks much,
deg

We support AMD FirePro W-series, FirePro S-series and above.
I'm not sure where the D series fit in all this since it's a Mac Pro specific chip.

Thank you for your quick response, Jeremie.

Not sure if that helps me though, as the D series, 500 or 700, are the cards I see being offered with the 6,1 Mac Pro.
Do you have any information on how SP and SD are running on these machines?

I just started a thread https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=16450.new#new in the Designer area asking these same questions before I saw your response here. If you prefer to cover the topic there, feel free.

Thanks again, brother.

deg