Author Topic: Help importing zBrush sculpt into SP?  (Read 3778 times)

Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance for my newbie questions, as I know they will be extremely obvious to the more experienced users. I'm relatively new to 3D modelling, so I hope some one can help me out.

Ok, no matter how many tutorials I watch I can't understand the concept of the maps baking process to be able to use Substance Painter to paint/texture my model. Do I need to have prepared UV maps for my model first before I can do this?

I have created a model using zBrush Core, so I am unable to generate UV maps or modify the topology due to the limitations of the software. I had attempted to import my model into SP however nothing appeared.

Do I have to import my zBrush model into Maya (which I am learning), and generate UV maps, then import the model with UVs into SP and then bake the maps I need to be able to paint/texture?

I had hoped I would've been able to import my model (.obj file) and use SP to instantly bake the maps I needed, then I could set to work painting it.

Can someone please explain the process of how I could import my zBrush sculpt into SP and be able to start working on it?

My model can be found here;
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LEL1w

Any help at all would be much appreciated!
Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:47:09 pm

Yes, the object you want to texture in Substance Painter needs UVs, there is no way to paint with vertex colors.

In order to texture your ZBrush character, you need to retoplogize it, create UVs for that low poly topology, and import that into Painter. Then you can bake the textures (normals, AO ect) from the original highres sculpt to the new low poly object.

You can't (or shouldn't) import your highres sculpt directly into Painter. You need a separate low res object (that you yet need to create as it seems) with UVs on it, and load the highres object into the 'High Definition Meshes' section of the Baking window. You can then bake the textures.

Nice model btw :)
Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:38:23 am

Yes, the object you want to texture in Substance Painter needs UVs, there is no way to paint with vertex colors.

In order to texture your ZBrush character, you need to retoplogize it, create UVs for that low poly topology, and import that into Painter. Then you can bake the textures (normals, AO ect) from the original highres sculpt to the new low poly object.

You can't (or shouldn't) import your highres sculpt directly into Painter. You need a separate low res object (that you yet need to create as it seems) with UVs on it, and load the highres object into the 'High Definition Meshes' section of the Baking window. You can then bake the textures.

Nice model btw :)

Volker I cant thank you enough for this reply! That completely straightens things out for me  :D

Thanks also for the compliment on my model, zBrush Core is quite restrictive but I'm happy with the results  :)