Author Topic: versions after 2.4.1 not baking ID maps via vertex colors with FBX from zbrush  (Read 3962 times)

Substance painter patched up to 2.5.3. Baking vertex colors doesn't work anymore. Same exact fbx files work in 2.4.1 just fine. This happens on several different projects I use and always have to go back to 2.4.1

I use vertex colors via zbrush polypaint and export that out as a FBX if that matters. But it works on all previous versions of substance painter.
Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:43:10 pm

Updated to 2.6

Still having same issues. This is killing my companies workflow and so we have to stay on 2.4.1

Any support? This is the only message in the log when it gets to the ID baking part "[Baking] Baking failed"

Does it work when you export from ZBrush in OBJ format?

Just tried doing from an OBJ via zbrush. Works fine. But FBX is ideal for workflow.

Bump

Bump

Do you have a mesh we could use to reproduce your issue on our side?

I've updated to zbrsuh 4r8 from 4r7 and it works fine now.

Ha. Just kidding. Apparently it only works if you have Match to Always and not "by same mesh name" Once you turn on "by same mesh name" it doesn't bake the ID map and you get "[Baking] baking failed" and it won't bake the ID map.

Can I PM you the files to test out or can I only upload to a forum post?

Sure send me a PM.

Does checking his file gave away anything that could help the community please ?
I manage to feed Painter with an FBX containing all the _low meshes then bake using the _high version of those meshes. And same issue in 2.5.3 : As soon as Match by Mesh name is activated everything bakes fine but NO ID map.
[Baking] Baking Failed
That's a big issue seriously. I have to bake the vertex color (polypaint) of each part manually now
Any info please ?
EDIT : updated painter to last version. And problem remains :
Bake->Match By Name = all bakes of additional maps works fine. BUT no ID Map ("Could not find vertex colors in your mesh")
Bake->Always = Painter bakes my ID Maps (Vertex color from polypaint) but of course the texture sucks when objects are attached or too close....

The simple fact that Painter tells me that the high poly "doesn't have vertex color" with "By Mesh Name", but bakes my polypaint perfectly when "always" is ON, sounds very much like a bug me. That is there for a while.
Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:49:41 am

This issue should be fixed in today's update.

Oh ? All right. At least it's a known issue. Good. Well I hope it'll be fixed soon then ;)

I have this issue as well.

Blender can see my vertex paint in the fbx easily, but Painter same error with baking color id map. I tried this with exporting with both blender (FBX 7.4) and zbrush FBX (2014)

2017.2.0 build 1736

Objs doesnt work either
Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:24:29 am

I have this issue as well.

Blender can see my vertex paint in the fbx easily, but Painter same error with baking color id map. I tried this with exporting with both blender (FBX 7.4) and zbrush FBX (2014)

2017.2.0 build 1736

Objs doesnt work either
A mesh to reproduce the issue would help quite a lot.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.