Author Topic: How to reuse a group of output nodes?  (Read 1050 times)

I regularly setup nodes to output specific combined/packed maps for game engines. Setting these up every time is not only a waste of time but can get confusing when you're dealing with multiple engines. Is there a way that I can take my node setup and add it to the library, so I can just drag and drop my output setups when I need them?

I tried creating a graph out of them, but this isn't what I want because when I add this to another graph I just get a large node with a bunch of empty outputs.

What I want is to be able to place a bunch of pre-configured outputs like this image, and not have to reconnect outputs every time:

You could do this by making a node that accepts all the standard inputs first, and translates them to the needed outputs. If you're diligent about setting up your outputs with the proper options, by setting up Groups (like 'UnityMaterial', and 'UnrealMaterial') and set the Usage settings properly (do this for the Inputs as well), you can connect them up in SD quickly by switching to Compact Material  mode (number 3 on the keyboard). It's a useful shortcut. The Group option in the outputs will let you have separate Compact Material pipes, so you can preview it as needed, and then plug in your desired output pipe instead before exporting the outputs.

Thank you for the advice, I will give it a go. Hopefully I understand haha

I'm not sure if this node might be useful to other Unreal artist so I'll stick it on Substance Share. I can think of other features I'd like to add to make it a bit more flexible but for now I'll leave it as it is.

I'd like to add the option to have the opacity at 100% white as default so the user doesn't have to plug in an alpha/uniform color just to preview. It would be nice to toggle on/off some of the maps to, maybe an emissive map etc. It looks like that is ieasily done using the 'visibleif' condition, so I'll have to take a look at that.

why not create a graph template for the engines you are working with?

each time you start a new substance with said graph, you'd have these nodes already set for you :]