Author Topic: Updated Tutorials anywhere?  (Read 6144 times)

I'm trying to evlauate SD3.5 to see if how well it will fit in our pipline.

I am trying to follow the first steps, but am continually tripped up by how outdated it is.  A lot of the menus and dialg boxes have changed.  for the most part, that not a problem, but occasionally i have to take an hour to figure out what things have changed into.

I am currently stuck looking for the bitmap editor covered in part 3 of the first steps tutoirals.  i can select the bitmap but cant find the editor.  Does it still exist?

EDIT:  about an hour later, i figured out what was happening with the bitmap editor.  i was working in the tutorial package, following along and could not edit the bitmaps because everyfile i added was locked, and not editable.  i reloaded the package, added a bitmap and it was not locked.  selected it and found the editor where it should be...weird.

i can just skip parts, but i'd hate to miss things due to renaming, different locations, etc...
Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:45:18 pm

Indeed some tutorials are outdated as we changed big chunks of the interface in the last few months. We are however redoing the older ones and new tutorials should be available soon.
As for the bitmap issue, the bitmaps you were dealing with were probably linked, not imported, which mean they were just shortcuts to the original image and thus not editable.

Some working examples would be good.

The Cymourai and Pod tutorials are actually pretty decent working examples. And you even have access the source files.  ;)
"Hinhin!" :-D

Thanks Wolvawab,

Though a few more working examples would be good

Hi,

I'll be working on updating the getting started videos to cover 3.5. I look to get this going soon. Let me know if there is anything particular you'd like to see in tutorials. I'd like to start creating more tutorials for the youTube channel.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes,
This would be great.
Some working examples would make it better to understand

I was going though the Cymourai tutorial and was having a similar problem, at first I was able to create and import bitmaps but every time I reopened the file both imported bitmaps and ones I created would be locked and every time I tried to create new ones they would also be locked on creation.

-What is the locking meant for anyway and is there a fix?

I was going though the Cymourai tutorial and was having a similar problem, at first I was able to create and import bitmaps but every time I reopened the file both imported bitmaps and ones I created would be locked and every time I tried to create new ones they would also be locked on creation.

-What is the locking meant for anyway and is there a fix?

Do you mean creating the ambient occlusion, normal map? Those maps are created and linked to your project and linked resources are always locked.

If you create new bitmap/vector image and edit it from the scratch inside substance designer, it should remain imported every time you open your project.

The issue is that the node no longer works.

Any and all bitmaps are locking up whether they are created in Substance or imported they end up locking after I reopen a file.

Any and all bitmaps are locking up whether they are created in Substance or imported they end up locking after I reopen a file.

Well what I know is, if you link the resources then your *.sbsar file will be considerably smaller, cause the resources files aren't included in the archive file. But, if included/import then, you will see the file size shooting sky high.

and what do you meant by 'node no longer works'?