Author Topic: COnvert to Greyscale changes texture  (Read 2273 times)

hey folks, i am pretty sure i am missing out on something big, but i have a problem right now.
i already solved it, but lets recap from the beginning.

i made a height map in photoshop and saved a .psd with different layers.
i link this thing in SD (by the way, if you are impatient and click something before the layer choosing window pops up, its hidden behind your SD window. :) edit4: seems you dont have to click anywhere, can happen without, too)
i then drag out one of the layers. i actually cut out everything i need in ps and collapsed the mask.
when i change it to greyscale it becomes a mess of rectangles i never ever ceated. the psd itself has no mask.

i was able to go about it with putting a mask into each layer seperatly. the mask will be imported into sd as seperate entity and i can use it as i wish. but what did i do wrong, that plain layers are so wierd when turned to greyscale?

edit: also i have the feeling my layers get distorted? anybody else experiencing this or is it just too late?
edit5: no, they do not get "distorted" however Sd discards some blank pixels at the border, which distorts it when you scale it back to 2k²
hmm... okay... i am going to make seperate black and white maps for all of my layers and fill everything...

edit2: either my psd is corrupt or i dunno, i'm too dumb, just had a crash. which brings me to a feature request: auto saving thank you :)

edit3: please, could you also fix the disappearing explorer windows bug? i need to demax my SD, add another explorer, change a few things in the layout, maximize, arrange everything neatly all the time -.- (i got a custom second windows bar in the middle of my two screens and it hides portions of the ui)

edit6: i was thinking my computer has a bad day today, but now, after turning away from the psd the selection in the explorer is way snappier and responsive. just wanted to state that for google or someone whos interested :)
Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:23:11 pm

edit1: thanks for info :)

i hope its not too unstructured :P
was it readable?

another tip: if you "lost" your layer choosing window after importing a .psd, just rightclick your SD symbol in the windows bar (the one for your open SD window) and click "close" once. It will pop up the window back to the front

just had an operation, so my prograss is slow, as i can only work a bit at a time.

right now, when i drag some imported bitmaps (not, not layers of a psd, but just generic maps i did with ps and saved as .tga) into the node view, they do not get computed. the node thumbnail keeps being blank and is 0*0 pixles (although i have set the slider to "11" => 2k²). It also uses 0 ms to compute. Restarting SD helps, but really, i dont want to do  that all over again and again (especially with the disappearing explorer bug)
am i the only one experiencing all this? i am somehow feeling i am fucking up somewhere...

If you have transparency in your layer, the rectangles you see are the result of the rgb channels collapsed. Photoshop actually draws those rectangles to make sure color goes everywhere where the alpha is not pure 0.
To get the right result you should either have a fully opaque layer, or use 2 Convert to Greyscale after the layer: 1 for the RGB and 1 where you just extract the alpha channel, then multiply the two.