Author Topic: Will scan data (photogrammetry) be soon taking over SD procedural material?  (Read 1326 times)

I've just finished watching the naught dog GDC 2016 presentation on their pipeline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNxOxiR5T_M

As they(naughty dog) are hugely rely on their procedural data base that has been built by artists.  What will happen for scan data?  I'd assume photogrametry material will slowly take over SD procedural material or even zbrush sculpts.  I knew that allegorithmic and many other developers including render engines, texture websites, scan house like texture XYZ are slowly moving towards preparing scanning materials(very much like using photo reference for texturing back in the days).  Then substance designer will become a scan data prep tool rather.

I am not currently working in a studio that has a SD pipline for game.  Since game has memory limitation.  I do not know how will they handle the memory issue for scan data(but some how menage to dice pull it off for starwars).

I hope it can be a topic open for discussion of our industry on how the future goes?

My bigger concern is that do I even bother studying and practice learning how to build complex procedural material in SD? And what's the advantage in the industry for an artist who has the knowledge on that?  If scan data is going to take over.  Maybe people who has the knowledge of processing scan data for SD will have more advantage?
Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:54:02 pm

Hi,

I think you have the answer in your message: all the textures need to be "processed". This is the case for procedural, or scan data.

Scan data are never perfect from scratch, and you always need to process them: delighting, tiling, scaling, adding details, etc.

The key is "how to create materials": you should understand how it works, and what are the maps and process needed.

Substance Designer is "just" away to process maps. It can be procedural or with scan inputs, it doesn't really change the purpose of the tool.
You should learn how to create materials, wether they are procedural or scan-based shouldn't matter.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management