Author Topic: Import Custom Fonts?  (Read 26823 times)

Howdy!

I'm loving the built-in text tool in 2.5.1. The fonts are pretty good too, but is there a way to import my own .TTF or other fonts? I see that in the Substance Painter 2\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\procedurals\Fonts folder there are .sbsar files there. I tried placing a .TTF in there just for giggles, but that doesn't give me access to the font. Didn't think it would be hey, why not give it a shot. ;)

Can I import my own fonts for use with the Substance Painter procedural text tool?

Took me a minute to figure out how sizing worked until I realized that the text just has to fit the brush and the brush has to be scaled up, rather than the text scaling independent from the brush, as I initially expected. It's nice though because I can dynamically change the size of the text, so it's intuitive now. :) I also like how the text honors Substance Painter's fluid resolution scaling. Woot!

Thanks!
Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:17:01 pm

You will need to use Substance Designer to import new fonts since the font has to be embedded in a Substance to work in Painter.
Simply create a new Text node in SD, choose the font you want, expose the other settings and plug it to an output, done.

Hi,

The way I understand it ... the substance texts that come with Painter 2.5 are actually created in Designer using and embedding a particular font. Designer's text nodes can use your system fonts - so if you want custom fonts for your text in Painter you will need to create the sbsar in Designer first - then export to Painter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWqodzZFlk  Start at about 14:50 - the meat is at about 19:00

Daf

Edit - Jeremie beat me to it! :)

Thanks to both of you! :)

Dan

Is that really the only way to do it?

I bought painter and I don't have designer.

Am I really expected to buy designer just for new fonts?

Is that really the only way to do it? I bought painter and I don't have designer. Am I really expected to buy designer just for new fonts?

Unfortunately. Until Allegorithmic creates a way for Designer to have the font as a parameter that takes a system font as input. That way, we won't need several Font alphas. Just a versatile one.

You will need to use Substance Designer to import new fonts since the font has to be embedded in a Substance to work in Painter.
Simply create a new Text node in SD, choose the font you want, expose the other settings and plug it to an output, done.
I'm new to Substance designer could you explain in more detail how to add a new font in Substance painter