Author Topic: [SOLVED] "element name" has a face spanning across multiple tiles (0, 0) ...  (Read 10831 times)

Hello.
Im quite new to substance painter and the whole 3D thing in general but IM fooling around with a project that Im now ready to try and texture but Im having issues with SP not wanting to import the models, I have looked around and trying different things but I cannot figure out what to do and how to fix the issue (title name). Even the most simple parts of my model are giving me issues.
Some help would be appreciated

Notes:
3D program is 3ds max
about half a year of experience in 3D so far
Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:25:50 pm

I've been messing around a bit and it seems like I have to convert everything to editable poly and re-unwrap it beefore SP wants to accept the models.
I have no clue if theres a bug involve or if it's just me doing something wrong.

Painter is magical, but not quit magic.

The key will to be work on specific issues, one at a time.

Basic info needed is:
- Your system specs, especially GPU, CPU, and operating system
- Ensure graphics drives are current
- DXDiag file

Specific info needed is:
- Description what you did and what you were trying to accomplish
- Pictures and screenshots
- Log file from a session when something didn't work right
- Possibly a copy of the mesh, Painter file, and anything else needed to duplicate the issue

Good luck.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

1. Make sure you apply a material to your object  before exporting
2. What file format do you export to? Fbx is advised.
3. What is the exact error you get when you import the mesh?
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Painter is magical, but not quit magic.

The key will to be work on specific issues, one at a time.

Basic info needed is:
- Your system specs, especially GPU, CPU, and operating system
- Ensure graphics drives are current
- DXDiag file

Specific info needed is:
- Description what you did and what you were trying to accomplish
- Pictures and screenshots
- Log file from a session when something didn't work right
- Possibly a copy of the mesh, Painter file, and anything else needed to duplicate the issue

Good luck.
Desktop

Laptop

Made a model consisting of 160 pieces in 3Ds MAX, some are splines some are editable polys.
Went as I normally did, made the model and unwrapped. Exported to fbx, SP wouldnt accept it, gave errors like "Mesh 'eyewire' has a vertex in an invalid UDIM tile: -32.1763, 3.77564", and that UV maps couldnt not be found, ""element name" has a face spanning across multiple tiles (0, 0) and (0, 1)".

I have gotten everything into painter now and it's working but I did have to convert everything to editable poly and unwrap it all over, as I mentioned earlier.
1. Make sure you apply a material to your object  before exporting
2. What file format do you export to? Fbx is advised.
3. What is the exact error you get when you import the mesh?
1. I did not try to apply materials.
2. FBX
3. "Mesh 'eyewire' has a vertex in an invalid UDIM tile: -32.1763, 3.77564", and that UV maps couldnt not be found, ""element name" has a face spanning across multiple tiles (0, 0) and (0, 1)".

OK, you should apply a material.
Then for the error it means your object has UVs that are across two UV tiles.
You should edit your UVs so that the whole mesh is unwrapped into the main tile.
Apparently the problem is located at the very left of the UV space, try to pack the UVs to get all the UV islands in the main tile.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

OK, you should apply a material.
Then for the error it means your object has UVs that are across two UV tiles.
You should edit your UVs so that the whole mesh is unwrapped into the main tile.
Apparently the problem is located at the very left of the UV space, try to pack the UVs to get all the UV islands in the main tile.
Tried adding materials both scanline and vray still getting issues.
Model
Cylinder unwrap
wire/spline unwrap
SP errors

Try scaling your UVS down so they fit inside the box better. It looks like based on your errors that your uvs are poking outside of the uvs limits. You will always want to do this as when texturing padding is necessary between your UV islands for proper texturing.

I will try and fiddle around with it all some more tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help.

I've been trying a bit but I can still only get it working by converting to editable poly end re-unwrap.
No idea what's happening but this will work for now.

I had the same issue and found out, that there have been more than only one UV channel.
Check the UV channels and the naming.