Author Topic: Black diffuse maps, but it shouldn'tbe black. Any solution?  (Read 8472 times)

Hi there! i've got a strange problem. All my diffuse maps are get black right after "Export textures". I had read on some forum that caused by the vertex colors, but i can't find any solution... i want to use these textures in Maya Arnold renderer, but the diffuse is black... only the duiffuse :/ I've never seen this issue, all my stuff are exported corretly before.

Can anyone help me?

Hey, are you in metal/roughness mode ou specular glossiness?

I just noticed that I am having the same thing (v. 2.5.1) with all of the smart metals.  I dont think I have been having this before.  I just spent 12 hours rendering my objects to 2048 with aliasing 8x8 - afaik that is the only change I have made to my model in SP.  The metals are showing perfectly in both 2d and 3d view but when exporting diffuse it is just plain black.

For kicks and giggles i slapped a smart wood, leather and cloth on the model and exported and it is FINE with those sorts of textures.  It is *only* the metal textures that seem to be having this issue.

normal map format: Open GL
shader: pbr-metal-rough

Hey, we have made some bug corrections in the latest version (which may help in your case)

@Vincent - I read there was some issue of extra slow rendering with the update today, is that something I should be concerned about or should I go ahead and try the upgrade?

in the very last one (2.5.3), it should be fixed

Ok i took the plunge and updated - LOVE that i can rename materials in the shelf IN the shelf, and delete them woot!

Sadly this did NOT solve the exporting black problem.  It is very odd to me that non metal textures are exporting just fine on the same model.  So I decided to see why particular ones are doing this.  I am getting some that are absolute black, some that are just 70% darker (happens on a brass one I have), or just fine.  I am not seeing anything that all have in common, some are smart, some arent.  Most of my materials are either from gametextures.com or allegorithmic source.  It isn't easy to figure out which material came from where (would be really nice if there were! *hint hint*).

Materials from the source that I have and are coming out black:
Brushed Copper
Dragon Scales
Aged Brass
Hammered Copper

Others are just coming out weirdly dark - I have attached an example showing the 2D & 3D view beside the file being exported.  I have set the 2/3D view to base color only since that is all that is seen on the diffuse.  This difference in baking makes them nearly as useless as the all black ones.

Is there some setting somewhere that is being missed?  This exact model looks and exports fine with all of the non-metals (including really glossy textures) but the metals are a complete waste of time.  help?

Modified to say I have upgraded to 2.5.3 - same problem.  the picture is from 2.5.3
Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:18:00 pm

Black diffuse is expected. BaseColor is different from Diffuse in PBR. It's the difference between the BaseColor/Metallic/Roughness workflow and the Diffuse/Specular/Glossiness workflow.
You should read the PBR guide to understand why they are black values in the diffuse maps : https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide
Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:41:49 am
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Is there a way to tell which type of material you are working with (other than the "omg it is exporting black" method)?  What if you have a texture of each type you wish to use on the same model?

Ok I looked over the guides linked to above but it is not simply telling me what setting I have changed somewhere and what to change so that metals that i KNOW i exported before just fine are now giving black difuse.  Is it a preference somewhere or what?

I know, for example that i had one brass that i used a baked light filter on and produced texture maps successfully, now its black. what gives?
Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:50:36 pm

Check your export settings, you probably the incorrect export preset which gives you the current textures.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I have tried both the regular diffuse and the mixed one, same weird results.  Any other setting I might have botched?

The solution that I have found for metals coming out black is to export the BASE COLOR map NOT the diffuse or converted diffuse.

plz help mine is the same problem...its bronze too

As explained in my first messages : a Diffuse texture does not equal a BaseColor texture.
Please read about PBR and how the different workflows works, everything is explained in our guide : https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide
-----------