Author Topic: How to set real world size with procedural substance?  (Read 4370 times)

Hello,

I like to use B2M to create different textures from substance files I get from source, but I often miss a setting for texture size/scale. I do not mean the pixel resolution but the scale of the procedurals so the texture could finally represent e.g. a patch of grass with 1 sqm or 10 sqm without tiling. This seems to me to be such a fundamental setting that I must have missed something somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bob

Hello,

I like to use B2M to create different textures from substance files I get from source, but I often miss a setting for texture size/scale. I do not mean the pixel resolution but the scale of the procedurals so the texture could finally represent e.g. a patch of grass with 1 sqm or 10 sqm without tiling. This seems to me to be such a fundamental setting that I must have missed something somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bob

HI Bob,

This is a very good question. We don't actually have a physical size setting for B2M. However, we have adopted this workflow in Substance Designer 6. You can now set a physical size for the graph that relates to the physical size of the mesh. This measurement is in cm. We will be building in support for physical size in the 3ds max plugin since max has specific real-world mapping options.

At this time, we don't have any plans to add physical size to B2M.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hello Wes,

thanks for the quick info. Just for further clarification, but maybe it is the same anyway: I would not mind, if it was not an actual physical value. Just a scale parameter would be fine, so all the procedural noises and patterns just become larger or smaller (without tiling). Is that possible?

Thanks,
Bob

Hello Wes,

thanks for the quick info. Just for further clarification, but maybe it is the same anyway: I would not mind, if it was not an actual physical value. Just a scale parameter would be fine, so all the procedural noises and patterns just become larger or smaller (without tiling). Is that possible?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

You could use a transform2D node to scale the noises and you can expose this scale parameter for the substance. We don't have a way to do this in B2M, but if you are creating a substance in Designer, you could use the transform on the noises and then expose scale so you could edit it in an external program that supports Substance.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja