Author Topic: Fill layer mask ignored when exporting normals  (Read 1879 times)

Hi!

Basically, I have a problem when exporting my normal map.

I had some issues with weird blotches appearing on the mesh:

But since they weren't too prevalent I was able to paint them out using this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2PN6sEBqfA

Basically put the normal map with blotches in a fill layer and use a mask to paint out all the stuff you don't want.

The problem is that when I go to export the normal map texture all the blotches are back again. It seems like the mask is completely ignored when exporting for some reason.

I've got the Normal mixing set to "Replace" when exporting and I've even tried to delete the baked normal map, leaving the Fill layer as the only normal information, but neither seems to help.

I'm using DirectX.

Anyone have a clue what might be going wrong?

Thanks!
Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:55:40 am

What are your export settings ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I'm using the export settings from the video, but with DirectX instead of OpenGL.

Not sure if it helps, but when I check the normal map in solo mode the blotches are there, but they are gone in the Material view. This is with the fill layer active.

Not sure if it helps, but when I check the normal map in solo mode the blotches are there, but they are gone in the Material view. This is with the fill layer active.
If you look at the "Normal + Height + Base normal" in solo mode, are your artifacts still present ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

No, they are not.

The normal in Solo Mode seems to have spots missing from where I painted on the fill layer mask.

Normal:

Normal+Height+Base normal:

They are visible when I apply the normal map I exported however:

What seems to be happening isn't that the blotches are left in some way, it's that the artifacts that are present after I export the new texture is specifically from where I painted on the mask. I just thought it were the blotches still because they were in exactly the same place.

So basically new artifacts appear from where I painted on the Fill layer mask to remove artifacts on the normal map.

That's really strange.
Can you send me your project by PM to investigate further ?
-----------

Sure, but I don't know if there's a way to attach spp files to PMs?
Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:19:51 pm

Sure, but I don't know if there's a way to attach spp files to PMs?
You can send me a dropbox/google drive download link.
-----------

PM sent

I managed to solve the problem!

What was happening was that the layer mask I was painting out the detail on didn't have another normal layer to fill in the blanks underneath, so the normal map just had transparent holes in it. By adding in another layer underneath with just a completely flat normal map to fill in all the holes worked and we no longer have any artifacts!