Author Topic: SD 5 - Cannot import SBSAR file in Unity - Import failed!  (Read 6362 times)

Hi there!

I updated to Substance Designer 6 have a problem with importing sbsar files into Unity.

Unity shows the error:
Failed to retrieve a single SBSASM file in the archive... Did you use the Substance cooker to generated the archive ?

followed by:
Import failed...

I already set the compatibility mode to SD5 - didn't help - same error.

I already used the graph in Unity with SD5 before but had to make some changes which I did after updating to SD6.
Now I can't get it working anymore.

Any tips?

PS: The graph is referencing other graphs i made - could there be an issue?

Sorry - i made a type in the header - it's supposed to mean SD6 (not SD5, obviously :-))

Sorry - i made a type in the header - it's supposed to mean SD6 (not SD5, obviously :-))

Hi,

We need to update the Unity plugin so that it will support the SD6 engine. We are in the process of doing this now. In the meantime, you need go the preferences and set the Compatibility mode for the Project to Substance Engine v5.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes!
Thanks for the fast reply!

I already tried that. Switched the Engine to v5 and even to v4 to check.
Same error in Unity. Like it's not changing to any compatibility mode.

I am kinda depending on the procedural substances in the game we're working on and our deadline is drawing near fast.
Maybe there's another workaround you can think of (besides exporting textures - we used a lot of exposed parameters in the game)?
Or do you have an ETA for the Unity plugin?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Wes!
Thanks for the fast reply!

I am kinda depending on the procedural substances in the game we're working on and our deadline is drawing near fast.
Maybe there's another workaround you can think of (besides exporting textures - we used a lot of exposed parameters in the game)?
Or do you have an ETA for the Unity plugin?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I am checking with the team to see if I can get an ETA. Can you send me your sbs file? I can take a look. You can email me at wes.mcdermott@Allegorithmic.com and I will help : )

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Note that switching the compatibility mode does not make the exported substance automatically compatible. What it does is highlight in graph editor the nodes and parameters that are not compatible with the target engine version you selected. You then need to either remove those nodes or change the parameters to a value which was available previously. For example, you need to remove the text nodes, or unset the newly added "Set Alpha To 1" parameter of normal nodes. 

Hi Cyrille!

Thanks for the info! I looked into that.
Switched compatibility mode to SD5 and checked the graphs (+referenced graphs) for errors.

I attached screenshots of the graphs - none of them is showing any highlighted node.
The graphs are pretty simple as well.

The thing is, that i didn't even change much on the graphs since SD5 - only added 1 new, but no new SD6 exlusives used. No Set Alpha, no Text node.

Screenshots here:

Hi Cyrille!

Thanks for the info! I looked into that.
Switched compatibility mode to SD5 and checked the graphs (+referenced graphs) for errors.

I attached screenshots of the graphs - none of them is showing any highlighted node.
The graphs are pretty simple as well.

The thing is, that i didn't even change much on the graphs since SD5 - only added 1 new, but no new SD6 exlusives used. No Set Alpha, no Text node.

Screenshots here:

Hi,

When you switch into compatibility mode, Designer will highlight nodes that use the substance 6 engine. There could be some underlying nodes that are being affected. Under compatibility mode, are you seeing anything highlighted?

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes!
No, no highlighted nodes.
I took the screenshots when i was in SD5 compatibility mode.

Everything seems ok here.

I see highlighted nodes when switching to SD4, but not when in SD5.

Hi Wes!
No, no highlighted nodes.
I took the screenshots when i was in SD5 compatibility mode.

Everything seems ok here.

I see highlighted nodes when switching to SD4, but not when in SD5.

HI,

Can you post the substance sbs file and I will take a look : )

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Awesome!
Thank you!

Will post them tomorrow asap! (Already night in Europe :-))
Do you need referenced nodes as well?

Awesome!
Thank you!

Will post them tomorrow asap! (Already night in Europe :-))
Do you need referenced nodes as well?

Hi,

Just right-click on the substance package and choose export with dependencies. That will give me everything I need. I will be able to check the file : )

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

I just start to test Substance Designer in trial mode (andd it's awesome) and I have the same error in Unity .

Substance Designer 6
Unity 5.4.3p4

Here the sbs (made with the perfect tutorial :p)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmAgp3WTlqlJgyW9aGHKQ5fd1kU7
Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:41:28 am

Hi Wes!

I sent you the nodes as message - hope that worked!
Best regards!

As a related question, I've been battling with this exact same issue, but my problem - I think - lies with user created generators, adjustments, filters etc I've been gathering from Substance Share (e.g. the brilliant 3D/4D simplex noise generator by rattle). Is there a way to use these nodes and still have a Unity-functional .sbsar file, or are people using for .sbsar workflows forever banished from using custom nodes?

The resulting errors unity-side are the same, but SD4 compatibility view does not give me any information as for the cause. It's rather hard to track down the culprits from the graphs...

This question might strike you as basic-level, but I only recently started using this software, and find being limited in nodes very frustrating. .sbsar is so incredibly powerful in unity!