Author Topic: Pixalated .sbsar material in unity + incorrect shading  (Read 3160 times)

I just can't get a point, why is it happening?

For comparison same texture in Substance Designer

Also note - there is correct specular in substance designer, unity seems to ignore metallness and roughness.

Hi,

Which version of Designer do you use ?
QA Analyst

Also Unity gave me this warning:

First time it told me that there is something wrong with camuflage_1, I deleted camuflage_1, second time - camuflage_2, ok, I deleted all camuflages...
now Unity is talking about masks, I cant delete everything from my nodes to get unity working

Hi,

So, what is the problem?
Once I had similar artefacts inside on Designer. This artefacts was when I put my own texture of ObjectSpace normals with 1024 texture size (all other textures was 2048).
When I got this artefacts I did baking of OS normals inside of designer and artefacts gone.

This textures (baked from substance designer) Iam using in unity.

Hi,

So, what is the problem?
Once I had similar artefacts inside on Designer. This artefacts was when I put my own texture of ObjectSpace normals with 1024 texture size (all other textures was 2048).
When I got this artefacts I did baking of OS normals inside of designer and artefacts gone.

This textures (baked from substance designer) Iam using in unity.

HI,

Are you using any triplanar nodes in Designer?

Cheers.
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Yes.
I just figured out that triplanars make this problem.
Is it because of unity? I heard that unity cant work correctly with 16 bpc.

So, how to deal with this? Triplanars cant work with 8 bit textures.
Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:50:52 am

Yes.

Hi,

Yes this is a limitation in Unity. Unity only support the CPU engine. They will not let us add the GPU engine which supports 16bpc. I would use the triplanar node to create the texture, then save it out and import it back as a resource. This way, you bake the triplanar result. It's a lot of work, but you only have the single texture versus having to include the worldspace and postion maps which are both 16bit and RGB.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Yes.

Hi,

Yes this is a limitation in Unity. Unity only support the CPU engine. They will not let us add the GPU engine which supports 16bpc. I would use the triplanar node to create the texture, then save it out and import it back as a resource. This way, you bake the triplanar result. It's a lot of work, but you only have the single texture versus having to include the worldspace and postion maps which are both 16bit and RGB.

Cheers,
wes

Don think that is "the way out".
This way SBSAR looses its attractiveness to users. We choose designer to make changable textures in unity, we dont choose it for baking. I can use blender triplanar projection to bake single texture...

Ok.
About blender - it can generate all information without gpu (I guess) cycles also support opengl output etc. and everything work in blender game engine. Blender know all information about model - from position to objectspace and it can make truly procedural output. I would really like to see something similar in substance, maybe when substance will take model "into account" all nodes like triplanar will work correctly.

Yes.

Hi,

Cheers,
wes

Don think that is "the way out".
This way SBSAR looses its attractiveness to users. We choose designer to make changable textures in unity, we dont choose it for baking. I can use blender triplanar projection to bake single texture...

Ok.
About blender - it can generate all information without gpu (I guess) cycles also support opengl output etc. and everything work in blender game engine. Blender know all information about model - from position to objectspace and it can make truly procedural output. I would really like to see something similar in substance, maybe when substance will take model "into account" all nodes like triplanar will work correctly.

HI,

Yes the core use of Designer sbsar is for modular textures. The baking aspect is just a workaround for the triplanar use since Unity doesn't allow for us to use the GPU engine.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com