Author Topic: SP Bake in Maya - Good in SP, Bad in Maya  (Read 2895 times)

I am trying to bake a simple normal map for a pair of pants.  The normal map is for the seams of the pants.  In the attached images, you will see the UVs for the pants, the results of the SP bake in SP and the results of the SP bake in Maya 2017.

The normal map bake in SP looks very good in SP.  There do not appear to be any problems.

When I bring the SP baked normal map into Maya, however, everything goes wonky.  I have tried DirectX and OpenGL, triangulating the mesh before baking.  Flipping the Green channel and then the Green and Red channels.  I am at my wits end.

Can someone give me some guidance on what I may be doing wrong?

Here are my UVs:

Here are the results of the SP bake in SP (looks good):

Here are the results of the SP bake in Maya 2017 (looks wonky):

Hi JabbaTheNut,

You have to set the bump2d and the file node correctly in Maya.

- Set the Color Space to Raw in the file node.

If you rendering with Arnold.
- With OpenGL normal map, set the bump2d node this way:
  Use as: Tangent Space Normals
  Flip R Channel: Off
  Flip G Channel: Off
  Swap Tangents: Off

By the way set all file node's Color Space Attribute to Raw if it's a non color information (Roughness, f0, Height (aka Displacement), Normal, Bump, Metallic etc.)

Set all file node' Color Space Attribute to sRGB if it's a color information (Diffuse, Specular, Emission Color, Base Color (aka Albedo) etc.)

Cheers, D

p.s.
You can use Maya's Input Color Space Rules system to automate the setup:
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

One more tip, if you interested:
The difference between the OpenGL and the DirectX Normal map is: the Green Channel is Flipped (inverted).
Cheers, D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

D,

That was definitely the problem!  Thank you for your help. I also appreciate the Input Color Space Rules tip.  I am now using that one, too.

@ddankhazi Thanks very much! Great post : )

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja