Author Topic: Malo WIPs  (Read 10317 times)

My first work with Substance Designer.

Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:15:10 am

nice work! would like to see a wireframe

Thanks.
Here is the wireframe.

Just want to say good job

Thanks

Great work, Malo!
Anthony Garcellano | Environment Artist
www.artstation.com/garcellano

thanks for sharing the wireframe!

it could be much more efficient by snapping the vertices, that don´t change the form, to the next corners - but I guess you know that ;)

Thanks for the infos, but i dont understand what exactly you mean.

Did you mean i should create the gun out of one object that all faces are connectet or what did you mean with snapping?

Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:57:09 pm

Thanks for the infos, but i dont understand what exactly you mean.

Did you mean i should create the gun out of one object that all faces are connectet or what did you mean with snapping?

Hi,

generally speaking, it does make sense to merge geometry (edit: in contrary to the sketch posted below, the rivets can be merged without adding polycount) - you get less vertices and better baking behaviour;
what I like about your topology is the modeled bevels - this helps achieving nice results.

here is a sketch, that should help you understand where your topology could be improved:
Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:18:22 pm

Thank you very much for the help.

I always try to work with quads only and use as less tris as possible.
Maybe i should change my workflow, for less quads and use more tris to keep the polycount low.

Now i have 10.000 tris, with your suggestion, maybe i could create it with 7.000 tris

I keep your suggestions in my mind in try to use it for future projects.

I believe you can do the same shape with 3000 tris as well :)

For a final hard surface ingame model, you don´t have to avoid tris, especially if they cover a perfect plane.

For the modeling process, quad meshes are handy.

One more thing: I noticed the overexaggerated edges around the gun´s handle - they correspond with the hard edges, that are visible in the wireframe.

It looks to me as if you have baked the normal map with soft normals
Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:43:01 pm

I have no idea, i baked the normals from my highpoly.
Maybe there went something wrong or i did something wrong with the edge smoothing for the final render. Not sure.

A new Gun from me.

Cool style you got there :D

Thanks.