Author Topic: Substances don't update in 701 SP5 with 1.1.0  (Read 4468 times)

I'm new to 'subtsancing', so forgive me if I'm missing something silly. I've installed the plugin (1.1.0) for 701 SP5, and have been messing around with the included substances. However, I can't get any them to actually update when I change a channel value. I can alter the user channels for the substance layer, but I never see any change in either the viewport or the render. Is there a refresh command I'm missing somewhere?
CG Lead - Magnetic Dreams

Okay it must be specific to certain sbsar files, because I just stumbled across one that does update...

Okay it must be specific to certain sbsar files, because I just stumbled across one that does update...

Hi Tim,

The substances should update. Are you changing the substance tweak parameters on the Substance Properties or are you selecting an actual channel. You should select the substance in the item list and then on the Substance Properties, change the parameters.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Okay so scratch that.... any sbsar file will work, but only if the channel values are first adjusted by clicking on the substance file in the Item List, NOT in the Shader Tree. If I go the Shader Tree, add my substance, and tweak settings, I see no change. But if I go to the Item List, select the substance, and tweak settings, I see updates. After I've done this in the Item List, I can go back to the Shader Tree, tweak settings, and see updates. It's almost like the substance file doesn't know to update anything until I interact with the one in the Item List first.

Sorry for the noise...

Sorry Wes, looks like we posted over each other. I'm not interacting with individual layers, but specifically with user channels belonging to the Substance item itself. Here are some steps:

1. New Scene, add some geo
2. Go to the Shader Tree
3. Load a Substance, and assign it to the geo
4. Still in the Shader Tree, go to the User Channels section, where all the Substance channels are.
5. Change some values. You won't see any changes if you do this.
6. Now switch to the Item List
7. Select the Substance Item and go to its Substance Properties panel
8. Change some settings and you'll see it update correctly.
9. Now that you have done this, you can go back to the Shader Tree and change those same User Channels and they will update.

Sorry Wes, looks like we posted over each other. I'm not interacting with individual layers, but specifically with user channels belonging to the Substance item itself. Here are some steps:

1. New Scene, add some geo
2. Go to the Shader Tree
3. Load a Substance, and assign it to the geo
4. Still in the Shader Tree, go to the User Channels section, where all the Substance channels are.
5. Change some values. You won't see any changes if you do this.
6. Now switch to the Item List
7. Select the Substance Item and go to its Substance Properties panel
8. Change some settings and you'll see it update correctly.
9. Now that you have done this, you can go back to the Shader Tree and change those same User Channels and they will update.

Hi Tim,

This is the correct behavior at this time. You should always select the Substance in the Item list and change the properties on the Substance Properties and don't use the User Channels.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Gotcha, no worries.

So wait... you're saying this is 'not a bug'?   ;)

Gotcha, no worries.

So wait... you're saying this is 'not a bug'?   ;)

I don't think it is :) It's designed to use the Substance Properties with the channels. The plugin is looking at those channels, but I think they need to be referenced in the User Channels as technically they are User Channels. I think that unless the Substance Property as been changed, then the User Channel is not activated. The plugin was not designed to utilize the User Channels.

Do you think that is incorrect for a modo workflow?

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

I'm just messing with you Wes... "Not a bug?" You don't get it?

I'm just messing with you Wes... "Not a bug?" You don't get it?
Heheh. : ) Thanks Tim... Long day I guess : )
the3dninja@adobe.com