Author Topic: Noobie Needs advice-Shipwreck rusticle texture  (Read 1370 times)

Hello all,
I'm a total noobie, with only 9 hours experience on Substance designer. I'm still looking to create a texture like this for a model I'm making. I've attached some images to give you an idea of what I want to achieve: rusty, dripping rusticles from deep sea wrecks that have a variation of texture and generate icicle like features. I've seen lots of rock texture tutorials, but nothing that generates long, sporadic, vertical bumpy streaks.

I'm counting on substance designer and painter for this, so I was just wondering?
Could anyone point me in the right direction to any relevant tutorials?
Or perhaps tell me how you'd approach this?

Thanks

I hate to be a bumper, but does anyone have any advice?

I saw this before, and was hoping someone a little less uncertain than I am might have input. It seems like no one does.

See, you've chosen a challenging project... It's a material that builds up upon itsself, reacting to both the surface and to what has built up previously. for the icicle-like shape, you'd find a baked Position map helpful. isolate the Y/Green axis (RGBA-Split or Greyscale with G at 1 and the rest at 0) and invert it, and use that with warps, or slope blurs, maybe... Like a speckled map as 'seeds' made with a splatter circular, and then have those seeds drip using the Y-axis pos map and several slope blurs. This would be enough to make a mask. After that, you'd need a rust texture (not too hard to make or find) and a rusticle texture (harder to make, probably impossible to find...)
I'd start with clouds, or perlin noise, and one trick I've always enjoyed is making a roundish heightmap by using Non-Uniform Blur and plugging the clouds in to both inputs. This part would take a lot of experimentation to find something that looks right.

After that, the height-maps you've made using the clouds, the mask, and the original rust surface (which could be made by just combining the right kinds of noise in the right amounts) can be used to generate a normal map, ao, and, through one of the Curvature nodes, edge highlights. a Gradient Map can be used to turn yet another noise into a basic pattern of rust colors, which can combine with the details you got from your height map (ao and curvature) to give the rusticles and rust a bit more convincingness.

Roughness would be quite high, but not uniform... I've found that giving proper attention to the roughness is the one thing that really sells the believably of a texture. Here, you want it rough and noisy, with a difference between rusticle and non-rusticle, maybe occasionally bits of shininess here and there where flakes of metal might still be found (not sure about that, but it could work), and less shine in the cracks where AO is darkest.

I know this is a lot of info, and I'd prefer to make it more tutorial-like if I could, but my time is somewhat limited. I hope this provides some hints, at least! Good luck with the substance, and try to have fun while doing it, too! The best results are usually the ones that were fun to make.

Thanks Cory, that's a great starting point :)