Author Topic: Material Layering Importer Update??  (Read 4628 times)

Hi,

Since I saw the Material Layering Workflow I thought, that's the best idea ever!! I started using it in my workflow, the process is really easy (although I would like to be able to change the material parameters on Substance Painter... ).

Turns out, that I wanted to export some objects to Unity. And when I am using the .json importer I have nothing else than problems. Substance Painter exports 3 normal maps, but importer in Unity doesn't merge them, only assigns one. And also, when you have more than one object it assigns the same normal map to all of them, and you have to go one by one changing them. Also I have to change the .json by hand because the Material Path is like this: "//shelf/56635753a878472ac203a6653cc2b885ae7654fe.sbsar/A320_Plastic_Blue_Dark"
Finally merging the masks into one Composite Mask, doesn't work correctly neither, but if I merge the masks on photoshop and use that as a mask it works.

Is it going to be an update soon fixing all the bugs?? I decided to change the importer by myself but still...

Hi,

Since I saw the Material Layering Workflow I thought, that's the best idea ever!! I started using it in my workflow, the process is really easy (although I would like to be able to change the material parameters on Substance Painter... ).

Turns out, that I wanted to export some objects to Unity. And when I am using the .json importer I have nothing else than problems. Substance Painter exports 3 normal maps, but importer in Unity doesn't merge them, only assigns one. And also, when you have more than one object it assigns the same normal map to all of them, and you have to go one by one changing them. Also I have to change the .json by hand because the Material Path is like this: "//shelf/56635753a878472ac203a6653cc2b885ae7654fe.sbsar/A320_Plastic_Blue_Dark"
Finally merging the masks into one Composite Mask, doesn't work correctly neither, but if I merge the masks on photoshop and use that as a mask it works.

Is it going to be an update soon fixing all the bugs?? I decided to change the importer by myself but still...

Hi,

I have asked the devs to take a look at this issues. We also have Unity devs looking into this as well. I'm sorry but I don't have an ETA at this time.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

We manage to change your importer, and shader code. Now we import normal textures correctly, also we are able to use Emission maps with your shader, being able to change each of the four materials intensity.

Right now everything is working for us except the .json file, it still messes the path of the materials, with the new version 2.5 I still have something similar: "//restored_from_cache0/56635753a878472ac203a6653cc2b885ae7654fe.sbsar/A320_Plastic_White"

Hi Wes,

We manage to change your importer, and shader code. Now we import normal textures correctly, also we are able to use Emission maps with your shader, being able to change each of the four materials intensity.

Right now everything is working for us except the .json file, it still messes the path of the materials, with the new version 2.5 I still have something similar: "//restored_from_cache0/56635753a878472ac203a6653cc2b885ae7654fe.sbsar/A320_Plastic_White"

HI,

Thanks for this information. I have sent it to the engineers. We will be looking into the fix.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

With the new version of Painter, looks that you change the format of exporting the .json file and the textures. Now the masks are called Mask_Blending_mask instead of Mask_Opacity.

The problem comes when you don't update the importer to Unity also. Now I can't import anything created from zero with the new version of Substance... because of the names the importer is looking for do not match with the new names.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Please update the importer ASAP!!

Hi again...

It gets even better, with the version 5.5.2f1 of Unity the script UI gets messed up completely. 
Code: [Select]
Could not create a custom UI for the shader 'Allegorithmic/Material layering'. The shader has the following: 'CustomEditor = AlgLayeredMaterialEditor'. Does the custom editor specified include its namespace? And does the class either derive from ShaderGUI or MaterialEditor?
UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
This is the message I got from Unity.

Then button for importing the .json does not exist anymore, all the things are placed in a wrong way.

Please Please Please update sooooon!
Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:15:43 am

:)pls update, great tools, unity 5.52 can't read json file

Hi,

I greatly apologize for the is issue and delay in response. I am checking again with the developers to see if we have any updates. We were also talking with the Unity developers as well on this issue.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Aside from json file issues, Allegorithmic materials layering does not work properly for either mobile or Mac that I am aware of.  I understand that materials layering is flawless in Mari (from the Foundry), but a) it's another company's application and b) I have no idea how the layered materials work in game engines, or if Mari just bakes the layers out into textures/maps that would be imported separately.

Aside from json file issues, Allegorithmic materials layering does not work properly for either mobile or Mac that I am aware of.  I understand that materials layering is flawless in Mari (from the Foundry), but a) it's another company's application and b) I have no idea how the layered materials work in game engines, or if Mari just bakes the layers out into textures/maps that would be imported separately.

Hi,

The material layering filter is not designed for mobile. Can you please what you are getting on the mac? For the json file, we have a known issue and have a ticket to get this fixed.

The material layering in Painter is the same process as Mari in the application. The workflow of layering materials works in Painter without issue. The problem is with the shader for Unity. There is a difference between material layering in the painting app vs the realtime shader. We are working on this issue for Unity. We had a major issue to solve with the substance plugin for Unity 2017 and this delayed the material layering shader.

Cheers,
wes

the3dninja@adobe.com