Author Topic: Substance Designer 6 Sbars not working with Unity  (Read 18149 times)

Like the title says,
Substance Designer 6 Sbars are not working with Unity.
It sees that the Sbar is there, but it does not create a material.
Opening the Sbar in older versions of substance designer, same thing, the channels are there, but they aren't not rendered or shown as actual textures.

Not sure if this is a a bug or a poorly mentioned "feature"

I'm having a similar issue with Painter - my exported sbsar won't import as a basematerial

HI,

We are currently working on support for the Substance Engine 6 in Unity. For the meantime, you will need to run Substance Designer 6 in compatibility mode. In the preferences, go to the Project tab and set the compatibility mode to Substance Engine 5. this will highlight any nodes in your graph that are dependent on the SD6 engine. If you remove this nodes, then the published sbsar will work in Unity.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I was wondering about this, I do thank you for the answer but it does pose a fairly major problem to my intended use of the software, as the normal mapping nodes are all included in that incompatible field. For use in game design that is a pretty serious pitfall. I love the concept of the substance programs, I appreciate their flexibility in their procedural generation, but that whole aspect kind of goes away when I have to bake the normal maps as an absolute texture map.

So while still useful for mapping out a texture and exporting it as a texture image in the far more classic workflow of game integration it will works, not being able to use the procedural tools inside of Unity or substance painter at this time really does impact its abilities. I don't mean for this to sound too much like a negative.

Still a very powerful tool, However for any environment that is a real time render scenario, if we want to create an illusion of high frequency details Normal maps are key to that. I'll be trying to figure out a temporary workaround to see if I can fake it without using the actual normal nodes but still get something like a normal map out of it.

(also worth noting that the manual has nothing about this, or the import errors. it actually took a lot of hunting to find the posts that were relevant to this issue, So thank you for the answer, but may I suggest it be posted somewhere a bit more visible? or even pinned for the time being? it brought my project to a halt for over an hour while I scoured the manual and googled the error and got nothing and reworded it several times before finding this.)

Please see this thread :
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,15248.0.html

You don't need to remove the normal nodes as they were existing in previous versions of Substance Designer. You only need to unset the "set normal to 1" parameter which was added in SD6.
Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:19:36 pm

Thanks for the reply's! Will give those methods a shot and see what happens.
Mike

Is there a rough estimate to when the SD6 in unity 3d will be ready?   

Just excited to play around with the new text node. :)

Thanks for that detailed answer Wes.

As everyone here, i' m also pretty excited to use SD6 SBSAR directly into Unity. And an the same time i think i'm not  considering any Rework on my recent Substance  in order to remove any new SD6 Node, to use them into Unity.

As well as my consideration about the substance Share node that i'm digging into many times, i'm wondering if my already build Node library, can be updated to sd6 without loosing the compatibility of all those Utilities and filters from subShare resources that have been build under SD4 or 5. How can we manage that part Wes ?

Or the biggest question is: When do Unity will let us use the GPU to compute maps from SubDesigner .....

PS: Tell me if i'm wrong but Distance node are not surrounded by a Yellow line in compatibility mode in SD6, does they are still supported by unity 5.5.2 ? Distance node where new node in SD6 right ? (or inside them they only use compatible SD5 Node)
Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:49:26 am

Thanks for that detailed answer Wes.

As everyone here, i' m also pretty excited to use SD6 SBSAR directly into Unity. And an the same time i think i'm not  considering any Rework on my recent Substance  in order to remove any new SD6 Node, to use them into Unity.

As well as my consideration about the substance Share node that i'm digging into many times, i'm wondering if my already build Node library, can be updated to sd6 without loosing the compatibility of all those Utilities and filters from subShare resources that have been build under SD4 or 5. How can we manage that part Wes ?

Or the biggest question is: When do Unity will let us use the GPU to compute maps from SubDesigner .....

PS: Tell me if i'm wrong but Distance node are not surrounded by a Yellow line in compatibility mode in SD6, does they are still supported by unity 5.5.2 ? Distance node where new node in SD6 right ? (or inside them they only use compatible SD5 Node)

HI,

The Distance node was introduced in SD5 so this should work without issue. When you open the substances, SD6 will ask you to update and will handle this for you.

You could also use the batch tools to batch process all of your sbs files to update to SD6 so you don't get the update dialog each time you open. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SB10/sbsmutator

As for Unity and GPU engine, I'm sorry but I have no idea on this one : ) This is entirely in Unity's court.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Any idea when SD6 will be supported?

Once it is supported, where will this be announced? I'll check in there every day until this is fixed ^^

Any idea when SD6 will be supported?

Once it is supported, where will this be announced? I'll check in there every day until this is fixed ^^

HI,

We are working on the plugin now and it will need to go through Unity's certification. I don't have an exact ETA, but it will most likely go out in one of the weekly patches for Unity 5.6. We are working to have this ready ASAP.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi, I am new in substance designe, i created a very simple metrical in substance designer but when i import in unity 5 but its not working, so how can i do that ........
Here i attached my SB files and screen shot

Hi, I am new in substance designe, i created a very simple metrical in substance designer but when i import in unity 5 but its not working, so how can i do that ........
Here i attached my SB files and screen shot

HI,

The issue is that the Unity plugin doesn't support the SD6 engine at this time. We are working on the update now and will hand it over to Unity ASAP. I'm very sorry for this issue.

You can still publish from SD6 as long as you don't use any specific SD6 nodes. In the preferences for you project you can set the Compatibility mode to SD5. This will highlight substances that need the SD6 engine. In your file, you had the normal node with the Fill Alpha to 1 setting. This is SD6 engine. You need to use the Fill Alpha 0 option and this will work in Unity. I have attached the sbs file.

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:17:30 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

I'd like to know, too.
When will we see the SD6 engine integration in Unity 5.6?
I fear that UT might stop supporting that release alltogether concering Substance Designer and postpone any upgrades to Unity 2017. Let's hope for the best.
Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:26:39 pm

I'd like to know, too.
When will we see the SD6 engine integration in Unity 5.6?
I fear that UT might stop supporting that release alltogether concering Substance Designer and postpone any upgrades to Unity 2017. Let's hope for the best.

Hi,

The plugin for Unity 2017 will be the same as 5.6. No changes for the new release. The build for 5.6 should go live any day now. We are very sorry for the delay. I will post in these forums as soon as Unity pushes the build.

Cheers,
wes

the3dninja@adobe.com