Author Topic: exported mdl has incorrect gamma setting for linear textures  (Read 1337 times)

Hi,
I'm running into some issues with textures exported from Substance designer in MDL packages. I'm finding when I export the mdl package that the gamma value is being set to 'default' for all of the linear textures (roughness, specular and normals). This is despite them being connected through float nodes with the gamma values explicitly set to 'linear'.

In substance designer the textures are all rendered correctly as linear textures, however, when I render these materials outside of substance designer the default value used is srgb.
Is there a way I can force the textures to export as gamma_linear? Otherwise I need to edit the .mdl manually to change the gamma_default to gamma_linear.

Thanks
Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:41:03 am

Hi,
I'm running into some issues with textures exported from Substance designer in MDL packages. I'm finding when I export the mdl package that the gamma value is being set to 'default' for all of the linear textures (roughness, specular and normals). This is despite them being connected through float nodes with the gamma values explicitly set to 'linear'.

In substance designer the textures are all rendered correctly as linear textures, however, when I render these materials outside of substance designer the default value used is srgb.
Is there a way I can force the textures to export as gamma_linear? Otherwise I need to edit the .mdl manually to change the gamma_default to gamma_linear.

Thanks

Hi,

Which Iray plugin are you using? Is this in Maya?

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

I'm not using an Iray plugin. I'm rendering in standalone iray through nvidia iview. It obviously considers the 'default' value to be sRGB and not linear. I'm not sure what end the issue is at (SD export or Nvidia iview), however I'm not sure why the exported MDL has the gamma_default value on the linear texture inputs, and I cant seem to be able to set anything that will change this prior to export.

Thanks
Andrew