Author Topic: Setup for Scanning.  (Read 3206 times)

I'm so pumped for the new features in SD6!

I was hoping the tutorial for scanning materials would feature a little bit more information about how to set up your lights and tripod for the best results. Can anyone point me towards a best practice for taking these kinds of photos for scan processing?

We are still working on a precise guide and tutorials to setup the scanning properly.
The general idea is that you want to attahc your camera over and facing the surface you want to scan in order to take multiple photos from the exact same point of view.

Ideally you would need a dark room or a cardboard box if you are scanning outside to avoid any light interference.

Once the camera is placed in the right spot over the surface, you can use a flashlight or better, a LED strip, to light the surface from the left, right, top and bottom and take a picture each time.

This is how we captured the leather you can see in the videos.

But again, we will soon release detailled instructions to create your own DIY scanning setup.

awesome Jeremie, I'm looking forward to it!

gonna try out the cardboard box approach in the meantime :)

One thing I'm also curious about, is do these new scanning tools kind of obsolesce Bitmap 2 Material? Are there plans to fold in these tools to a future release of B2M?

One thing I'm also curious about, is do these new scanning tools kind of obsolesce Bitmap 2 Material? Are there plans to fold in these tools to a future release of B2M?

I was thinking along similar lines.  It struck me as an expansion of what B2M can do, but similar in concept.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

B2M is more primitive in the sense that it approximate things based on a single image. These filters are meant to give a much more accurate result but need more accurate inputs. They serve 2 different purpose really.

I'm curious about this workflow too. I look forward to the full tutorial.

Are there any commercially available rigs that will deal with it? I've seen some home made ones.

rls

I've been using a copystand style tripod over a table offset at 45 degrees to the lights which I place at 0/90/180/270. Using 2 fill lights (umbrellas) an overhead white reflector about 3 feet above the camera and a diffused fresnel light to light the angles. Problem I'm having is that regardless of what order I add the lighting angle on the blender node at I'm not getting good results. Seems the blender node is overcompensating the lighting and creating hard edges where there should be a soft falloff. Most definitely would like to see more info on this pretty soon. So far anything from 0 to 45deg on the side lighting is not giving good results.

Dear all,

I'm trying to folow the basic workflow that you show on your video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWkbBxwg05Q&t=222s) but i have some problems with 2 of the nodes.

On multi crop node, "show crop area" parameters and true/false button is not apearing on the interface. However through "expose parameters..." there is the item but i don't know how to make it show on the instance parameters.

Similar problem with smart auto tile. Croping area is shown and it's impossible to dissable. Moreover texture apears to be bigger than it was before tiling.

In both cases, while trying to set a decent crop area, background texture is moving arround and making impossible to fix the desired area to crop.

Thank you very much in advance.

I'm not getting good results either.
I carefully took pictures of several samples but I'm not able to process them.
-The "Multi Color Equalizer" does not seem to work; the two controls we have (Radius and Bright/Dark Balance) don't change the output preview.
-The "Material Clone Patch" doesn't seem to do much also. It would help if the tutorial was with the same version we have, I don't see the same thing
-The "Smart Auto Tile" is not smart, not auto and is tiling very visibly. None of the controls seem to have an influence on the output.

I'm a new user and interested in Substance Designer only for processing pictures or scans of materials into maps I can use in V-Ray. Maybe there's some voodoo I'm not aware of but I followed the video very closely...

We are still working on a precise guide and tutorials to setup the scanning properly.
The general idea is that you want to attahc your camera over and facing the surface you want to scan in order to take multiple photos from the exact same point of view.

Ideally you would need a dark room or a cardboard box if you are scanning outside to avoid any light interference.

Once the camera is placed in the right spot over the surface, you can use a flashlight or better, a LED strip, to light the surface from the left, right, top and bottom and take a picture each time.

This is how we captured the leather you can see in the videos.

But again, we will soon release detailled instructions to create your own DIY scanning setup.

Do you have an update on this?
I'd like to do some meaningfull tests before my tryout time is over.
And it would be very nice to have the tutorial (https://tutorials.allegorithmic.com/courses/1c53363b418b9e4ea1fc4cd67cba3cc3/youtube-kWkbBxwg05Q) updated to show how it's done with current version.

Thanks,

-Marc