Author Topic: Edge Faceting  (Read 1953 times)

Hello,

I get edge faceting when I apply smart masks using curvature maps generated in Substance Painter.
I've attached a screenshot below, but I'd like to hear how to either generate a cleaner curvature map or how to get rid of this artifact?

Thanks!!

The curvature is generated from the normal map and the low-poly mesh. Where did you generated the normal map ?
If you didn't use Substance Painter, you might want to rebake using a file format that is able to contain more information (like tiff or png instead of tga). If that's already the case, then try to tweak the curvature baker setting, like lowering the intensity value.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks so much! The normal maps were baked inside of Painter but I tried re-baking with lower curvature intensity settings and that seemed to help some. The down side was that I lost a little bit of edge width but I think I can dial that back up within the smart mask. 

Thanks again!
-Jeremy

The curvature is generated from the normal map and the low-poly mesh. Where did you generated the normal map ?
If you didn't use Substance Painter, you might want to rebake using a file format that is able to contain more information (like tiff or png instead of tga). If that's already the case, then try to tweak the curvature baker setting, like lowering the intensity value.

So .tga does not contain similar information, as png or tiff? Isn´t it 16bit?

TGA supports only 8bits per channels.
You should avoid it for normal maps.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.