Author Topic: Personal Questions on Substance Painter  (Read 4912 times)

Hello so I went thru the tutorial of substance painter. Its a very handy tool however I came across many questions and I hope its ok for me to ask them. Just when it comes to new programs, I have questions and need things broken down to be able to understand or cleared up so I hope this is ok for me to post here and please excuse me if I repeat my questions.

First is what is the point of making a high mesh and low mesh.  i mean does it matter should it just be simple mesh and just build on or will some effect happen on it. I take it the difference between a high and low in a way is that is has more polygon am I correct. Just figuring out if it really necessary to have a times too.

What reason would there be for reupdated the importing the meshes later on as mention in the tutorial video?

The normal map should it be apply by the painter or can it by another program like crazybump or photoshop?   Also I take it is a good idea to bake about what if you have just a low by itself. to understand do i have to make normal. 

Do you need to use id if you don’t have a high mesh

Where is the geometry decal since the program is new. bit confused by that?

So if i understand the tutorial correctly, a good idea is to take the painted height that was made then go to export texture and make it a normal is that correct or is it ok to not have to do that. I remember how the building we made the painted height then we export it to make it a normal?

What reason is there for making a material id and what is a general idea to keep in mind for making an id?

How is the ambient occulsion with fill layer work now as the controls are different from the substance painter tutorial 1?

What reason is there for using the mask and then the generator.  was the generator mixed in with the mask and the texture of rust. Trying to understand how it worked in a way and effect.  It seem that before generator fine, does it mix in?

What kind of images can be made from photoshop that can be used. i believe alpha is one and texture. what else can they be applied too?

I apologize if this is big but just want to understand this program more and have lots of questions and it helps to ask them.

Hello so I went thru the tutorial of substance painter. Its a very handy tool however I came across many questions and I hope its ok for me to ask them. Just when it comes to new programs, I have questions and need things broken down to be able to understand or cleared up so I hope this is ok for me to post here and please excuse me if I repeat my questions.

First is what is the point of making a high mesh and low mesh.  i mean does it matter should it just be simple mesh and just build on or will some effect happen on it. I take it the difference between a high and low in a way is that is has more polygon am I correct. Just figuring out if it really necessary to have a times too.

What reason would there be for reupdated the importing the meshes later on as mention in the tutorial video?

The normal map should it be apply by the painter or can it by another program like crazybump or photoshop?   Also I take it is a good idea to bake about what if you have just a low by itself. to understand do i have to make normal. 

So if i understand the tutorial correctly, a good idea is to take the painted height that was made then go to export texture and make it a normal is that correct or is it ok to not have to do that. I remember how the building we made the painted height then we export it to make it a normal?

What reason is there for making a material id and what is a general idea to keep in mind for making an id?

How is the ambient occulsion with fill layer work now as the controls are different from the substance painter tutorial 1?

What reason is there for using the mask and then the generator.  was the generator mixed in with the mask and the texture of rust. Trying to understand how it worked in a way and effect.  It seem that before generator fine, does it mix in?

What kind of images can be made from photoshop that can be used. i believe alpha is one and texture. what else can they be applied too?

I apologize if this is big but just want to understand this program more and have lots of questions and it helps to ask them.

Hi,

Here are the answers : )

You don't have to use a high res mesh. This workflow is mainly for the game development pipelines where a lower res mesh is needed. You don't have to do this. You can bake maps from the high res mesh directly such as AO and curvature which can be used for the mask generators.

This is for when you update the UVs on the mesh. Sometimes you may do this. You can't change or edit the materials or the mesh, it's just for when you update UVs.

You can bake the normal in other applications. It's best to bake it in Painter. The normal map is used to fake the details of the high poly on the low res mesh. This is for game development pipelines.

You don't need to use the ID. It's just a method to help with making masks.

We've updated the UI and the tool was just renamed to Projection Tool.

The tutorial just showed this workflow so that you could take the painted height and then rebake the maps to contain this new details. For this, you need to export the height as a normal.

The purpose of the material ID is to make a mask. You can bake this from the mesh material IDs. It's very quick to assign the materials in your 3D program. We have a baker for this so you can quickly create the ID mask from the materials you assigned to your mesh.

In Painter 2 we updated to have actual support for AO channel. You now have an option for how the AO works. By default the mode is set to multiply which means is will combine the baked AO and the AO you create in the layer stack.

Yes you can mix generators to create a more complex mask.

You can import textures you create in PS as textures. They can be used for masks or other texture channels such as base color.

Cheers,
wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Make things easier for me to understand. If i have anymore, I will post them. Thank you for answering them :)

I actually have another question. What is a good tip for when it comes to high mesh and low mesh. I try to have a door one with detail and one that was plain and I try to bake the normal in with the high and low but at times it was very little or had it where it just turned out black in the normal map. Is there any tips when it comes to making a high and low poly. I followed the tutorial but just seem to not read right.
Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:47:12 am

Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Make things easier for me to understand. If i have anymore, I will post them. Thank you for answering them :)

I actually have another question. What is a good tip for when it comes to high mesh and low mesh. I try to have a door one with detail and one that was plain and I try to bake the normal in with the high and low but at times it was very little or had it where it just turned out black in the normal map. Is there any tips when it comes to making a high and low poly. I followed the tutorial but just seem to not read right.

Hi,

Please take a look at this video. This will be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3r7Xmhmlk&index=21&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCx994Cb7iRFSmupYHFw5DTx

Cheers,
wes

Thank you and I'm getting a better understand of substance painter.

I want to use substances launcher in windows x86. But recently I have discovered that substances launcher supports only in windows x64. Please help me providing the x86 version of substances launcher.

First is what is the point of making a high mesh and low mesh.
To add to what Wes said, you don't even need a high res mesh, just "a mesh", so depending on what you are doing, don't think you need to say, make a high res version of a low poly asset. As I use SP simply for texturing my models I make in Blender, I just export the mesh and leave it at that.

For me, I do that A) when if make a mistake and export something only to discover an issue later (Doh!)  Or B) When I decide I want to add geometry to the model, or change the UV layout for some reason, or both. A common thing is finding you've not paid attention to overlapping UVs or some such. SP is awesome here, you can just rebake the maps, leaving all the layers alone. The only issue you have is if you have any "painted" layers, as these may need re-doing of you've latered your UV layout.

You don't need to, but by the same token, I recommend it as a way of controlling textures. I have a video where I use Blender and SP together, to keep the number of actual materials down, (which become texture sets within SP), as I know I am texturing in SP, I create an ID mask, so I bundle geometry together, with an Id mask, (in Blender, this is built from the vertex colour map). In SP, I then use this to isolate parts of the textureset with masks to create different textures within a single textureset.
Again though, SP means you can do it this way, or just create a mask based on UV islands or polygons to isolate things, I personally just find an ID mask easier to work with. Though I may incorporate UV poly masks as sub-sets of an ID mask.
Here's a link to part 1 of the tutorial of Blender2 substance, it has 3 parts in total: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yInmaj1-tw

I want to use substances launcher in windows x86. But recently I have discovered that substances launcher supports only in windows x64. Please help me providing the x86 version of substances launcher.

Hi,

Thank you for this feedback. I sent this info to our launcher team. The issue is that our core products only support x64 so the launcher, even if we have x86 would be of little use. Our team will be discussing this further.

Cheers,
Wes