Author Topic: Substance Material Mode Workflow  (Read 4622 times)

At first glance it doesn't seem like it's possible for a single procedural material to control multiple channels in a fill layer.  However if you disable all but one channel then assign a procedural material you get a new "channel mapping" rollout.  You can then re-enable additional channels and have those channels controlled by the same procedural texture.

Is this the only way to get the material rollout into this state?  It feels rather unintuitive and difficult to discover.

Hey, Iam not sure what you want to achieve, but you can control each channel individually.
Could you illustrate with pictures

Here's the requested screen shot.
Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:48:15 am

Honestly, it's the second case that looks like a weird behavior to me, as you almost never want to get the same map in your different channels.
What may happen is, as you only have one channel activated, it considers it as a full material when you plug a sbsar.

Once again, if you can give an example when it would be relevant to get the exact same map in all the channels, I would be interested to know.

Well, I can't say that I'm looking for this behavior all the time.  In this case I was using the brick generator and figured if I was going to give the bricks some various greyscale values for the height channel I might as well pump that into the roughness. This seems easier than adding a second brick generator and then having to make sure a majority of the params align between both instances.  Normally (instead) I'd create a base fill layer and then add the brick generator to the mask.  The end result seems the same.

Does it make sense for height values to correspond to roughness, no, but it works as a base to provide some cheap randomness   ;D

I think this mystery channel mapping rollout has been around for a long time and I've been losing my mind with the inconsistent behavior.  As I'm messing with my layers suddenly the options seem different or I make a mental note like, "the brick generator has that channel mapping rollout" only later to discover it doesn't.

This reminds me of the various particle options not always refreshing properly when changing the emitters or receivers in version 1.x.  It's probably fixed in version 2.x, but I gave up on using them because you never knew if all the params would be available.

Thanks for the feedback anyhow: we are going to look at this.