Author Topic: Expose substance parameters on the sunbstance source website?  (Read 1391 times)

Hi,

after using your free substances from Substance Source I am seriously considering purchasing a monthly plan to access premium substances from the resource.

I have one serious concern though: the images and 3d view on the website is an incredibly poor representation of the final substance.

Purchasing a substance based on the preview you see on the website is like purchasing a car based on it's looks alone: you never know what's under the hood. With the substances I used, if you fiddle with parameters of the final substance you can end up with a completely different beast, unlocking hidden potential of seemingly bland and boring patterns. My fear is, without having a much more wholesome and comprehensive preview one can miss out on the material he was looking for, or, vise versa, end up with a very bland a boring pattern, while imagining the world, based on the preview.

So here is my feature request: please add at least a few more images of the final result you can achieve for each material. At least add them in 2d view. Idealy though I would love to see at least some of the parameters exposed in the preview, but I can imagine that it's pretty hard to achieve.
Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:26:55 am

Thanks for the feedback.
We indeed are looking at solutions to display the variety you can obtain for each Substance.

+1

The Source (as well in gametextures) miss to show what you get in each sample. For example I have countless times downloaded a substance thinking that I can tune up some param, but it turns out that it is just flat bitmap for example. This way I (and seems other) shoot a bit in the dark, burning points only (well, the last makes sense from provider's perspective :) )