Author Topic: Add support for OpenGL 4.x and/or Metal on macOS  (Read 3025 times)

Hi - I'm new to Substance Live, and part of what drew me in is the video demonstrating dynamic materials layering (the fire hydrant demo).  Well, after a few projects and tutorials I'm finally ready to dive in and make use of it on a project....

Only to find out that it will not work on a Mac, because Substance Painter is using an extremely old OpenGL implementation.

I love these tools so far, but find it hard to believe that something considered to be modern or advanced is restricting itself by using an outdated API.  Please consider either updating to support OpenGL 4.x (which Apple has supported for years), or their low-level API called Metal (which has been available in macOS for well over a year).

In the meantime, I feel you guys should also consider putting a disclaimer in the descriptions of demos or tutorials to call out key features that are platform-specific (ie Windows only), as opposed to burying in the detailed release notes.

We are already using OpenGL4 on MacOS. The issue with the material layering is that, to be able to use more than 16 texture samplers, it requires an OpenGL extension (bindless textures) which is not made available by MacOS's drivers.
Also, material layering is not a Windows only feature. It is also available on Linux when using up to date proprietary drivers.
As Apple seems to be focusing on Metal and likely won't add any new feature to its OpenGL drivers in the future, the only solution for us to get material layering working without crippling limitations on MacOS would be to switch all our 3D viewport GPU code to Metal, which is not a small scale change.
Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:27:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, though I'm still a little confused how this is an issue for Allegorithmic, but does not seem to affect usage of other applications (C4D, Maya, etc).

Hope you guys can solve this.

We are already using OpenGL4 on MacOS. The issue with the material layering is that, to be able to use more than 16 texture samplers, it requires an OpenGL extension (bindless textures) which is not made available by MacOS's drivers.
Also, material layering is not a Windows only feature. It is also available on Linux when using up to date proprietary drivers.
As Apple seems to be focusing on Metal and likely won't add any new feature to its OpenGL drivers in the future, the only solution for us to get material layering working without crippling limitations on MacOS would be to switch all our 3D viewport GPU code to Metal, which is not a small scale change.

Do u have any plan on this?

Since we are at it, let me ad my voice to the chorus : "Support for metal 2 is long overdue for a product that is sold as mac os compatible, the lack of support for tessellation alone is nearly a deal breaker, not to mention legally debatable !!"

I hope things will change... fast !!

Take Care

As answered in this thread, tesselation in Designer on MacOS is coming, but it probably won't be soon. On the other hand, we don't have plans for using Metal at this point.
Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:58:19 am