Author Topic: Packing Grayscale textures into colour channels @bake time  (Read 1452 times)

I'm not sure whether there is the option for this already in the substance baker or whether it has been requested prior to this post. However, I think it would be a great idea for the option to create profiles where a user could specify and pack multiple grayscale textures i.e AO, Height, Curvature into the R,G,B, channels of a single texture at bake time. This would help reduce the amount of textures within, and the size of packages that need importing into a game engine.

Would be great indeed  :) There is such a tool in Substance Painter already, but not in Designer. Would be a great new feature for SD 6, I believe.

There is such a tool in Substance Painter already, but not in Designer.

Not quite.  In Painter there are profiles that pack the channels on export, not during the actual baking process.  You still end up with 1 map per bake, which is what the OP is trying to avoid.  You could easily merge the maps in Designer into a single output using the RGBA merge node.

I think that in terms of production it's actually a good idea to separate the bakes, it could become quite confusing to manage if you have 1 file per 3-4 baked maps.

Ah, I see. Maybe the scripting feature would be expanded in the near feature to include "on-bake" event and texture packing could be achieved through some Python script.