Author Topic: materials in ue4  (Read 2896 times)

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, finally got around to compiling the engine and going thru all the hassle to get this plugin working, but i must say so far it was really worth it.  import no issue, using graphs no issue.  however one of the beauties of substance is using one material and making it work hundreds of different ways, but from what i can see if i change the graph it changes every instance of the material i have down.  im sure there is a way to deal with this, so any help appreciated. 
also what kinda of performance hit are we taking using substances compared to a normal material ?
if we use a high res does it really impact the performance that much more ?
will running a lot of different instances of a substance material kill performance ?
once again sorry if these seem like stupid questions for everyone who already knows what they are doing but they are stumbling blocks for those who do not.  also posting this on ue4 forums.  thanks in advance for any help.

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, finally got around to compiling the engine and going thru all the hassle to get this plugin working, but i must say so far it was really worth it.  import no issue, using graphs no issue.  however one of the beauties of substance is using one material and making it work hundreds of different ways, but from what i can see if i change the graph it changes every instance of the material i have down.  im sure there is a way to deal with this, so any help appreciated. 
also what kinda of performance hit are we taking using substances compared to a normal material ?
if we use a high res does it really impact the performance that much more ?
will running a lot of different instances of a substance material kill performance ?
once again sorry if these seem like stupid questions for everyone who already knows what they are doing but they are stumbling blocks for those who do not.  also posting this on ue4 forums.  thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

I must admit, I am not an advanced UE4 user. However, if you instance the material, the instance will adopt the changes from the parent material. In Unity, I would duplicate the material so that it's not instanced if I needed to have some materials different. There is at this point a performance hit as you can't batch the materials if they are not instanced. I'm not sure exactly how instancing works in UE4, but the materials will need to be unique.

The performance hit would not come from the substance itself as in the end, textures are created. The larger the texture, the more texture ram is used and the area of concern in terms of performance.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

thanks wes, appreciate the help, been killing to learn this in any means possible, bound and determined to get this into our character pipeline, i just bought a bunch of substances on your site to use in painter, any clue either how to get them in material slot or even just how to make more materials or stencils ( i am referring to the materials like rubber and the stencils like croc skin area ?  thanks in advance for any info, painter is down right wicked even now, cannot wait to actually fully understand it.