Author Topic: Mask Padding with "Export Mask to File"  (Read 2964 times)

I noticed my masks have no padding when right clicking and exporting to file. Is there a way to add padding?

That would be weird no ?
If you add padding to a mask, you add transparency in unexpected zones...

Hey Vincent,

I'm an artist here at Blue Sky Studios, using Painter with Linux.

I've also noticed I cannot add padding to masks when exporting to file.

I use a mask heavy workflow with my characters, because I want all of my coloring and shader mixing to be done in the renderer. I'm getting very egregious seams where 2 shells meet.

Is it possible to add a setting for padding/dialation when exporting masks to file?

Hey Vincent,

I'm an artist here at Blue Sky Studios, using Painter with Linux.

I've also noticed I cannot add padding to masks when exporting to file.

I use a mask heavy workflow with my characters, because I want all of my coloring and shader mixing to be done in the renderer. I'm getting very egregious seams where 2 shells meet.

Is it possible to add a setting for padding/dialation when exporting masks to file?

Hey, by default it wouldn't make sense, but I made a small filter that hopefully should solve this (see in attachement)
Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:01:13 pm

Vincent,

Thanks a ton!

Hey Vincent,

I just tested this and its only padding values within shells. I want the padding to take place between shells.

First image is padding where I want it to be, between the shells.
Second image is what I want the final output mask to look like with padding.
Third image is unpadded.

It seems that the padding filter you made it applying a padding to the mask, however its still stuck to the shells and no color information gets written in between shell islands.

Is there a way to have the padding exist in between shell islands?

I am working a lot with masks, and to get padding/dilation, I am always using a pure white background and the mask as pure black and export the result as a base color, which I can dilate in the export settings