Author Topic: some leather tips?  (Read 5948 times)

i'm still trying to realise the most photorealistic leather for this shoes, this is a spec/gloss render with the default modo material .. some one have some tips to realize it better? what do you think? any corrections?

I think this is a good starting point in terms of overall color and spec/gloss.

What hits my eye first, that´s the hard, clean edges; Even with a new shoe, they would be broken up much more. Also, leather looks different along its cut faces. That´s very important for a convincing look, and also the cut faces play a crucial role, when it comes to all sorts of weathering (even the weathering effects of a new shoe).

Reference images are your friends!

in your opinion i need to add some normal or change the models?

The answer to your question is depending on what you want to achieve. What is your aim, what are your references?

i'm trying to create color customization for this leather in a small website. i've already have a render, but i'm trying to create it more photorealistic..as u can see i need to add seams in all the leather parts

ok, now I know the purpose of your project - but again, if you want to achieve fotorealistic look, you have to study references.

here are some examples:
http://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/shoppingimages/BV02_Main.jpg
http://www.robertoverino.com/tienda/59885009-5299-thickbox/brown-oxford-leather-shoe.jpg
http://www.schoolkitsng.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/WEALTHY-BOYS-LEATHER-LACE-UP-SHOE-2.gif

usually, for a task like yours, clients prefer a clean, kind of stylized look. But still kind of fotorealistic. So we as artists have to mix the best from "both worlds".

In the case of your shoe, this means adding visual elements from the real world

- deforming the lines, that make up the shapes
- adding a different material for the cut faces
- adding a little bit of cavity and ambient occlusion
- make material, form and detail interact: if a shoemaker is stitching leather, this process will cause a valley along the stitches; same for punched holes etc. etc.

then, for the final result, you have to balance these subtle but ever so important features. This is also, where Substance Designer comes into play and proves its strenghts: Because all these features can be exposed with values and sliders, and in the best case scenario, the client tweaks these sliders himself, thereby approving the result.
In ancient times, we had to send files back and forth for things like saturation... but fortunately, technology comes to our aid - we only have to use it.

Just one note about the soles, they are never uniform, maybe add some bump to the layers of leather, little bit of roughness variation, sometimes they have a bit of gloss weather guard, stuff like that.

Maybe vary the layers in the actual mess a bit as well.

thx for all those advices.. for the "uniform" leather i'm thinking to paint a black/white layer with some information for diffuse and spec.. is a great ideas?

Something that gives a little depth, the layers are never cut perfectly and the edges are in and out a bit going up the sole.

some updates. now i'm starting to paint some details in the leather cut face

Very nice, coming along well. The leather looks really good and the holes and stitching are catching the highlights well.

I still think the sole needs some normal along the layers, do you get what I mean? TO show they are independent layers not one piece.

i've add some bump but it look still smooth