Author Topic: Reflection channels  (Read 1325 times)

hey everyone,

I had a thought today while I was bored at work. In front of me sat a pile of laminated flash cards, that had a rather interesting reflection gleaming on their surfaces. A spec of dust landed on my eyeball, which triggered me to close it. I then realized that the reflections on the flash cards were largely dependent on my dominant eye. Looking at the reflection with both eyes open yields a combination of two different reflections, one of which is slightly less blurry.

And so I was curious if anyone has thought of using multiple reflection channels for either specular or roughness maps to achieve the effect of a dominant eye? I often find that reflective surfaces look a too sharp in games so while I am an amateur SD user, maybe this is possible?

hey everyone,

I had a thought today while I was bored at work. In front of me sat a pile of laminated flash cards, that had a rather interesting reflection gleaming on their surfaces. A spec of dust landed on my eyeball, which triggered me to close it. I then realized that the reflections on the flash cards were largely dependent on my dominant eye. Looking at the reflection with both eyes open yields a combination of two different reflections, one of which is slightly less blurry.

And so I was curious if anyone has thought of using multiple reflection channels for either specular or roughness maps to achieve the effect of a dominant eye? I often find that reflective surfaces look a too sharp in games so while I am an amateur SD user, maybe this is possible?

Hi,

That is a very interesting observation. I think what is happening is that with our two eyes, we see a convergence of two different angles. I think that closing one eye allowed you to see the card surface with a different angle of incidence which in turn changed the reflection.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja