Author Topic: Any benefits on Windows vs Mac?  (Read 4232 times)

Hi there,
are there any benefits to use Windows instead a Mac for Substance Painter/Designer (both machines uses a GTX980ti).

As we have more control on what we can access to optimize the software on Windows version (like the openGL version which is more recent on Windows), I would rather go with this one.

As it comes to software's performance there are no differences nowadays. I don't know how's with options to optimalize program

As we have more control on what we can access to optimize the software on Windows version (like the openGL version which is more recent on Windows), I would rather go with this one.

Ok, so that means that quality and speed is much better on Windows?

It means that there are some features that may not be available.

Could you give me some examples? I have to decide to switch to Windows for game-development, but I only want to switch if it's really needed.

Will this missing features on a Mac be possible through Metal soon?

Which platform are you targetting?
Unless it's the Apple appstore, I don't see any point not being on PC to develop a game (that's a personal point of view of course).
For the exact differences I'll get back to you ASAP (gathering a list with my colleagues :) )

Which platform are you targetting?
Unless it's the Apple appstore, I don't see any point not being on PC to develop a game (that's a personal point of view of course).
For the exact differences I'll get back to you ASAP (gathering a list with my colleagues :) )

My goal is to develop games for every platform. So that means: Mac, Windows, XBOX One, mobile devices (iOS/Android) and maybe PS4.

All with Unity

I'm on a Mac Pro 2009 with 12x 3.46GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce 980ti with the latest macOS.

But if it's needed I would boot into Windows (Bootcamp) for better workflow/results. But I don't want to reboot every time to switch the systems, so I would move completely to Windows (on this Mac) and only boot into macOS if it's needed for iOS-Stuff.

So that's the reason why I ask here and on the Unity-Forum if it's really needed to use a Windows-System/Machine for best Game-Development :)

Are there any plans to support Apple Metal soon?

From my (UBISOFT) game developer experience, I would go on PC.
you will just have to build your final  ios version package with a mac (required by Apple).

"he biggest difference I know of is that Mac doesn't support displacement." (from Wes)

"he biggest difference I know of is that Mac doesn't support displacement." (from Wes)

Thats wrong, OpenGL 4.1 supports displacement (just look at Unity-Forum "To achieve Displacement mapping you need tesselation which mean Hull Shader, a Domain Shader and a Geometry shader. You can already do it with OpenGL 4.1 on OSX")

From one of our dev:
Yes to make displacement you need a geometry shader for the tesselation with a height map. You can do it with mac core profil.
But you also can make your tesselation on the vertex shader with a mesh high poly.

I think the difference between win and mac is on the GPU rand. I saw some miss-match  with noise.

[17:48] 
mac can only support 16 sampler for own shader
win can support 32 sampler and more (illimited) with bindless texture! (extension not available on mac)

Ah ok, but both are things which could work with/via Metal, right? So will you support Metal soon?

We are producing textures (not shaders) so Metal won't change anything.

For sure, but wouldn't it be helpful if your software could show "more"/better in the viewport on Mac?