Author Topic: 3ds Max Plugin Update - Beta plugin (2017 Version)  (Read 71334 times)

hello guys,
 does this plugin update supports substance designer 2017?, because when I use some of the new nodes like the flood fill the material doesn't work properly in 3ds max, I am using 3ds max 2016

Hi @CroozRises,
The plugin updater currently offers support for up to Substance Designer 6. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will add a ticket in to get an update out that includes support for the most recent features.

Cheers!  :D
Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

Are animated values supported?  I tried to set keyframes for an animated material, and although 3ds Max shows that the value is changing over time, the substance settings themselves aren't changing and the material remains static.

Hi. For those of you who are using Corona and want to play with sbsar files in 3ds max before Corona converter will be released by the allegorithmic team, here is a Corona Converter script based on the original "Substance PBR material to Vray material" script made by allegorithmic. Actually it is the same script with rights belonged to the author, but tweaked slightly to work with Corona.
Does the corona script only work on the Substance map and not Substance2 map? Because it prompts me to select the original Substance map in order to create the node tree. Everything appears to be working correctly and I still get a Corona error message saying Interactive may crash max. But max crashes sometimes when I'm not using Interactive but just re wiring the nodes connected to the Substance map. So I'm not sure if it's crashing because I shouldn't use Substance and ONLY use Substance2? Or are there still unsupported features between Allegorithmic, Autodesk and Corona? Thanks! When the materials do work, it's fast, light weight and high quality!

Does the corona script only work on the Substance map and not Substance2 map? Because it prompts me to select the original Substance map in order to create the node tree.
This is not an official Corona converter. I'm not a member of an Allegorithmic team. I'm just user who converted original "Substance PBR material to Vray material" script for my needs and shared it with community. Also I do not have access to 3ds max 2018, so I have no idea if that script works with substance2.

Everything appears to be working correctly and I still get a Corona error message saying Interactive may crash max. But max crashes sometimes when I'm not using Interactive but just re wiring the nodes connected to the Substance map. So I'm not sure if it's crashing because I shouldn't use Substance and ONLY use Substance2?

What crashes is when the shader code does memory reallocations. If to be short, crashes, in interactive mode are just inevitable without making a whole new shader API. That is why you have Corona error message saying using substance in Interactive may crash max (because for now there is no simple solution to fix it). Sample spheres in material editor are also render in interactive. That is why you sometimes have crashes when re wiring nodes.

Or are there still unsupported features between Allegorithmic, Autodesk and Corona?

it is not about unsupported features, it is about limitation of the old C++ shader API.
Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:06:30 am

Got it. Thanks!

Some 3ds max materials will not load into the "Load Substance" of the "Substance" file in the slate editor while some do.  I created a few that look and work well in Marmoset but receive an error when I try to use them in 3ds max.  I have the substance plugin for vray and Corona referenced in this thread. Can I send in my .sbar material (or two) for review?
matthew grimaldi architect

Some 3ds max materials will not load into the "Load Substance" of the "Substance" file in the slate editor while some do.  I created a few that look and work well in Marmoset but receive an error when I try to use them in 3ds max.  I have the substance plugin for vray and Corona referenced in this thread. Can I send in my .sbar material (or two) for review?

This could be because you are using newer Substance Designer nodes/features in these substances in the original Substance node, it is fairly old.

The initial 1.0 release of the 3DS Max substance plugin will include the Substance-Corona material script (so hopefully these issues with the old substance node will be resolved).

However, in the meantime I would be glad to look at your sbsars as well as the sbs files if you have them. :)

Hi I sent an email to you with the .sbs and .sbar.  thx!
matthew grimaldi architect

Can we get an update on the release of the plugin? We've been told its coming in 'weeks' for months.

Can we get an update on the release of the plugin? We've been told its coming in 'weeks' for months.

Follow this link and scroll down to the 'Substance Plugin For Max' and download as appropriate :). It does however only say its available for Max 2018.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/buy/download

when will there be an update for 3Ds Max 2019?

Follow this link and scroll down to the 'Substance Plugin For Max' and download as appropriate :). It does however only say its available for Max 2018.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/buy/download

That's still the beta plug-in, is it not?

Hello @ikben,
After looking over your Substance, I wanted to run a test using the upcoming release build of the new Substance in 3ds Max integration.

Here are the results:

What was done to achieve this test render:
- Added an environment map
- Ran the automatic Substance to Corona graph generation
- Changed U tiling to 1.5
- Applied material to a cylinder in the scene and rendered
 ;)

This will be available within the upcoming release.

@jamesjwgallagher, @alexandar.jupp
We have been working on the 1.0 release which will also include the 3ds Max 2019 version of the plugin. This release brings many improvments and lots of new features have been added. You can expect the release very soon and we are very sorry for the delay. We hope the changes brought with this release will be worth the wait!

Cheers!
-Dan
Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

Can we have an approximative release date for the substance to corona plugin for 3dsmax?

I too am eagerly awaiting a 2019 update.  I've built my whole workflow around Substance so I'm a little stuck right now if I want to use any of the 2019 features with any of my existing scenes.