Author Topic: 3ds Max Plugin Update - Beta plugin (2017 Version)  (Read 66721 times)

I updated 3D Max 2017 with this beta plugin so I can use some of the substances from Substance Share.  With the new beta plugin, the substances I downloaded still don't work, and now the default ones that ship with max don't work either.  They show up black in the material editor and render as a gray/white but no textures.

I did a distributed render, and the render nodes that don't have the updated beta plugin still render the ones that shipped with max fine. 

I updated 3D Max 2017 with this beta plugin so I can use some of the substances from Substance Share.  With the new beta plugin, the substances I downloaded still don't work, and now the default ones that ship with max don't work either.  They show up black in the material editor and render as a gray/white but no textures.

I did a distributed render, and the render nodes that don't have the updated beta plugin still render the ones that shipped with max fine.

Quick update, so I thought the plugin would just work out of the box, but it appears you need to add the substance macro to a toolbar in order to get  this to work (at least in Vray).  when I did that, I could load a substance, and with it selected in the material editor, I clicked the Substance PBR to Vray Mat button on the toolbar and all the bitmaps started to appear in the material editor.  Still have to test this with distributed rendering, but it seems to be very promising so far. 

Thanks,
-Jesse

Nevermind...error was on my side.

When will this plugin leave its beta Stage?
Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:28:46 pm

It's working on my side for now ! was just my fault, needed to export with 256 px texture from substance.
Just an other question now, when will it be possible to put 4k substance texture in 3ds ?

It's working on my side for now ! was just my fault, needed to export with 256 px texture from substance.
Just an other question now, when will it be possible to put 4k substance texture in 3ds ?

Hi,

We are working on the version 2.0 of the max plugin which will support 4K textures. I don't have an ETA at this time, but we will share more as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

A million Thank Yous! I've been waiting for this for a long time :)

Hi Wes,

I have 2 questions regarding the plugin:
  • Does it support .SBSAR made with SD V6?
  • If I understand well the 16bits textures are not supported at the moment. Does it mean that any output of image nodes encapsulated inside .SBSAR will also be converted to 8bits before being used by the next node?
Thank you,

Werwack

Hi Wes,

I have 2 questions regarding the plugin:
  • Does it support .SBSAR made with SD V6?
  • If I understand well the 16bits textures are not supported at the moment. Does it mean that any output of image nodes encapsulated inside .SBSAR will also be converted to 8bits before being used by the next node?
Thank you,

Werwack

Hi,

The latest update does include SD6 engine support. However, the GPU engine is not working. Your are currently locked to CPU.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I noticed that after using the script to convert substance PBR to vray mat , and reloading the substance from the main node, the maps don't load anymore. This is happening in max 2017, will try in 2016 also to see if it's different. This makes the workflow of using this a bit inconvenient, did anyone else notice this or is is a local problem for me?

I noticed that after using the script to convert substance PBR to vray mat , and reloading the substance from the main node, the maps don't load anymore. This is happening in max 2017, will try in 2016 also to see if it's different. This makes the workflow of using this a bit inconvenient, did anyone else notice this or is is a local problem for me?

Hi,

I spoke with the devs. They will look into this. It could be an issue with the script or an issue with the integration itself. We need to determine where the issue is and then we can fix this.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Is there any chance of getting this same plugin for Max Design 2015/16/17???

Or atleast an option to select the install path in the Beta installer?//
Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:42:59 pm

A quick question, how does the plugin handle gamma? It appears to be bypassing 3ds Max's gamma controls, causing everything to look lighter inside max than it does in Designer.

Regards
Joel

Hello,
I've installed plugin update on my 3ds max 2012 - and it went OK;)
But I didn't test it yet.
Should it work correctly on 3ds 2012?
Or it was just luck that installation went OK;)

I've had the same issue as Sergiu Hulpe, who posted above. Maps don't load until I disconnect and reconnect the substance node to the map output node.

Also, I've had issues rendering an animation sequence with this plugin. The maps seem to drop out sporadically, resulting in blank frames.

Andy, are you network rendering your animation by any chance? That sounds like it could be an issue of a box on your network not having the plugin installed, or not being able to access the folder containing the sbsar.

Thank you allegorithmic for finally getting the 3ds Max plugin out!