Author Topic: 3ds Max Plugin Update - Beta plugin (2017 Version)  (Read 66721 times)

Hi,
I'm using 3dsMax 2018 with the latest substance plugin and corona 1.7 (hotfix 4).
In the plugin menu, i don't have the option "substance to corona".
Is it normal (see attached screenshot) ?

In the plugin menu, i don't have the option "substance to corona".
Is it normal (see attached screenshot) ?

The plugin is still in beta, that option isn't in there yet.

The plugin is still in beta, that option isn't in there yet.

Thanks.

Just wondering why i am getting this error?

It's clearly selected in the slate editor and it doesnt matter if i send substance to Vray or Arnold i get the same error.
This is a new scene, i have tried using different materials from substance source and still the same outcome.

Is this a known error? i couldn't find anything on it.

I'm new to the Substance suite (Indie). I'm trying to use it with Max 2018 and Vray.  I downloaded "Substance plugin for 3ds Max" from the page where I downloaded the Substance software after I made the purchase. I installed it. I went to "Customize User Interface..." in Max. Under "Substance" in the "Category" list, I found "Send to Substance." I added it to a new toolbar. When I click the icon, I get a window titled, "Send to Substance Painter - 1.2." There is no "Substance" item in the 3DS Max menu bar. I haven't messed with this, yet. I'm just saying....

In some of the tutorials that I've looked at, I've seen a menu item, "Substance." I don't have it.

I downloaded the beta from this Forum page, "substance-3ds-max-updater-2.0.1.exe." I installed it. I went back to "Customize User Interface..." and found "Substance PBR to Vray mat" in the same place as "Send to Substance." I added it to the same toolbar as the other one.

Your installation instructions, on this Forum page, mentioned an ".mzp" file. I never saw an .mzp file, anywhere. I still did not have a "Substance" item in my Max menu.  I opened the Slate Editor and created a "Substance2" node. I added an .sbsar file. With the node selected I, then, clicked the new "Substance PBR to Vray mat" button and got this message, "Please select a Substance node in Slate material editor to create the material."

I went back to Slate and created a "legacy" Substance node. When I selected the legacy node and clicked on the same "Substance PBR to Vray mat" button, it created all of the Vray stuff and everything looked fine...except it was a legacy material. I still do not have a "Substance" item in my Max menu.

I realize I'm being stupid. I couldn't find anybody else with the same problem. What am I missing? Can you help me? Thanks.

I don't know. To me, this plugin seems more like a late Alpha than a Beta. It's not going to be of any use to me.

I don't know. To me, this plugin seems more like a late Alpha than a Beta. It's not going to be of any use to me.

Hi @foglevel,
Thank you for the feedback! We have been working to improve and the new 1.0.0 version is now available.

Regarding the issues with the button and the menu, the button is part of the legacy updater and that Substance to Vray script was designed for the legacy integration.

Within the new integration, all of the Substance automated workflows can be found within the Substance menu. There was an issue with this menu however where it was not appearing in various layouts of 3ds Max. This has been fixed with the new release and all workflows in the beta and new workflows are now available.

We would love to hear if this new release is more fitting for your workflow!  :D
Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:43:03 pm
Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

Many of the problems stated previously in this thread are still problems with the recent release for VRay users.

You still need to use a color correction on the reflection and reflection glossiness in order to get an accurate translation of metallic materials from substance to VRay material.

The plugin straight up doesn't work with VRay RT, or requires some manual setup that I'm unaware of. For me it just seems faster to author your material in Substance Designer, and use the PBR converter to export your texture set for VRay. This method works, but the advantage of having a substance in my 3DSMax scene is still something I want, however this plugin is more of an encumbrance than a solution.
Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:48:57 pm

Many of the problems stated previously in this thread are still problems with the recent release for VRay users.

You still need to use a color correction on the reflection and reflection glossiness in order to get an accurate translation of metallic materials from substance to VRay material.

The plugin straight up doesn't work with VRay RT, or requires some manual setup that I'm unaware of. For me it just seems faster to author your material in Substance Designer, and use the PBR converter to export your texture set for VRay. This method works, but the advantage of having a substance in my 3DSMax scene is still something I want, however this plugin is more of an encumbrance than a solution.

Hi @conradsly,
Thank you for the feedback! Our goal is to make sure that using the plugin is a workflow advantage.
Regarding the color correction, I have added a ticket for this. We will be working on improving all workflows as well.  :D

Regarding Vray-RT, this is a known issue and Vray-RT is among the third-party renderers that we will be working to support in upcoming releases.

Thank you again for the feedback!
Cheers!

Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

The updated installer for Max Substance (in the store) has some bad logic. It copied all versions of Substance into all versions of Max. So:
  • SubstanceMax2018.dlt
  • SubstanceMax2019.dlt

Are side-by-side in the plugin folders of both Max 2018 and 2019... leading to a plugin load error notice when Max launches.

Anybody know if there is a script floating around to remove all of the beta Substance 2 nodes from a scene now that the production version of the plugin is out?  I've got a number of scenes I need to clean up in order to migrate them to the new plugin.

Cheers,

Chris