Author Topic: Using a texture alpha for brush alpha  (Read 2394 times)

Hey fellas, I got a question about painting with textures that come with an alpha channel. Is it possible to use this channel in some way as a brush alpha in Painter or do I have to have a second texture just for the brush alpha?

For example, let's say I'm using one of the normal map textures that come with Substance Painter 2 that includes an alpha channel. In the attached images you see what it looks like before and after the texture is applied via the brush tool and the fact that I wind up painting the entire texture instead of just the part within the texture alpha itself.

If there's a way to make use of the texture alpha as the brush alpha when painting, that would be very useful. Otherwise I would have to make a seperate image for every texture I want to paint with that has an alpha channel... and that would suck.

Edit: Just noticed I posted this in the wrong board (Substance Designer)... whoops.
Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:52:08 am

In this case, what you want to achieve is not possible.
It's mandatory for Substance Painter to generate the regular blue of a normal channel around your stamp. This is required for us to be able to composite each brush stroke properly. You can't avoid it.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

...I don't mean to be rude but that makes no sense. If I erased the unwanted part of the normal map after applying a stamp like this, it blends just fine, rough but fine, whether the normal channel on the layer is set to combine the normal detail (Normal map Detail, Normal map Combine) or copy over it (Normal, Replace). When the blend mode for the Normal channel is set anything other than for combining normal maps together, this is where it becomes problematic.

I'm guessing this is just a quirk specifically when painting in the normal map channel at the moment with the lack of the texture alpha being utilized? From the looks of things, the texture alpha works when painting in other channels, just not in the normals channel... which makes me even more confused.

Sorry if I'm being persistent, just wanted to be thorough is all.

I replied in your thread, no need to bump every topic on the forum.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.