Author Topic: Modo crashes after trying to instance Substance material  (Read 3757 times)

My plan was to have several objects (crates for example) in modo. Create material in substance designer. Assign instances of material to each crate in Modo and just change random seed for each one.
In instructions for modo there is this:
"To instance a Substance, you need to select the Material Group for the Substance, right-click and choose Instance. This will create a instance of the Substance Material group that can be applied to other meshes. To make changes, you need to adjust the Substance properties on the source Substance item, which is the Substance
the instances where created from."
I'm trying to do this and immediately get a crush the moment I click on "create instance".
I'm on Mac (latest version of OS), latest version of Modo 10.2v1, latest version of Substance plugin available from my Foundry webpage account. I've tried different materials, tried another mac (macbook), tried CPU and GPU. Same crush.
What else can I try?

My plan was to have several objects (crates for example) in modo. Create material in substance designer. Assign instances of material to each crate in Modo and just change random seed for each one.
In instructions for modo there is this:
"To instance a Substance, you need to select the Material Group for the Substance, right-click and choose Instance. This will create a instance of the Substance Material group that can be applied to other meshes. To make changes, you need to adjust the Substance properties on the source Substance item, which is the Substance
the instances where created from."
I'm trying to do this and immediately get a crush the moment I click on "create instance".
I'm on Mac (latest version of OS), latest version of Modo 10.2v1, latest version of Substance plugin available from my Foundry webpage account. I've tried different materials, tried another mac (macbook), tried CPU and GPU. Same crush.
What else can I try?

Hi,

This is a known issue. We have fixed this in a beta version of the plugin. It's currently in QA with the Foundry. I've attached the OS X version here. Please give this a try.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks. I've tried the file that you attached. Now modo crashing on start. I uninstalled this version of plugin. I've tried to remove Substance901 and install Substance10 again alone - same result.

Thanks. I've tried the file that you attached. Now modo crashing on start. I uninstalled this version of plugin. I've tried to remove Substance901 and install Substance10 again alone - same result.

I'm sorry for this issue. I'm not having any crashes on my mac using that version. Can you post the crash log? It may have something to do with the modo config files. Can you remove the configs to start with a clean config? On OS X I think its the com.luxology.modo10.2 found in ~library>Preferences.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I've cleaned a little bit modo "Kits" folder. And now Substance 10.2 plugin works. Thanks again for such fast respond. Going to the online store right now to get that Black Friday deal discount ;)
By the way you guys (Substance team) have amazingly helpful tutorials on youtube.

I've cleaned a little bit modo "Kits" folder. And now Substance 10.2 plugin works. Thanks again for such fast respond. Going to the online store right now to get that Black Friday deal discount ;)
By the way you guys (Substance team) have amazingly helpful tutorials on youtube.

Thanks so much! I work on the youtube tutorials. So glad to hear you like them. I am going to have a new modo tutorial soon for the updated plugin release.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com