Author Topic: Explanation on Normal map artifacts?  (Read 2979 times)

Hey guys, I'm doing some testing with importing substances in UE4 (v14) and I'm noticing some artifacts showing up on the normal map that don't show up in substance designer. And it also doesn't show in Unity, only UE4. So, as seen below, you can see those indents on the edges that make the normal look pretty bad. And all these ss show the material at the same resolution (512). And even when upping the res, the artifacts aren't as noticeable, but you can tell they are still there. So I was just wondering what's up and why it's only doing it for UE4. I don't know if it's a compression issue or what.

Appreciate the help.

Hey guys, I'm doing some testing with importing substances in UE4 (v14) and I'm noticing some artifacts showing up on the normal map that don't show up in substance designer. And it also doesn't show in Unity, only UE4. So, as seen below, you can see those indents on the edges that make the normal look pretty bad. And all these ss show the material at the same resolution (512). And even when upping the res, the artifacts aren't as noticeable, but you can tell they are still there. So I was just wondering what's up and why it's only doing it for UE4. I don't know if it's a compression issue or what.

Appreciate the help.

Hi,

This could indeed be a compression issue. We have a new update coming with BC5 compression. Can you attach your substance and I can take a look.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Sure. I accidentally deleted the one shown here (was just for testing). But I made another one that looks close to identical. Attached.

Hello, Jacord!
I can confirm that Wes is correct and that this is indeed a compression issue. As Wes mentioned, this will be fixed in an upcoming release. I loaded up your example asset and have included screenshots of the new results below.

Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

Cool. Looking forward to it. Thanks :D

Is this also a problem with the compression?
Unreal 4.14
SD 5.5.3
Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:28:16 pm

Indeed it is. We will have the fix released as soon we can. =)

Updates Released! =D
If you are still running into this issue, please let me know!
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,14638.0.html