Author Topic: is .sbs available in Substance Source?  (Read 13507 times)

May be a silly question but I really interested in how these high quality material made.It seems only .sbsar file provided for downloading. My account is just Substance Live and 19.90 per month. is that matter? How can I get .sbs file of Substance Source material? Thanks guys. 

We are only offering sbsar files on Substance Source at the moment.

:'( O....k, it's thanks any way.  I saw studio license  for Substance Source will provide Physically Based Material Library, is that any different?

That's a bummer. Source looked like it could be very useful until I learned that you don't get .sbs files.

That's a bummer. Source looked like it could be very useful until I learned that you don't get .sbs files.

Yeah, same here... Not very useful with only sbsars.

Edit: To be fair, it's still useful :) But it would be infinitely more useful with .sbs
Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:53:22 am

Yeah, this is pretty unfortunate and definitely reduces the usefulness of Substance Source. It would have been good to be able to see how these were built as a learning tool, long with being able to tweak the substance to our heart's content.

I agree! It hadn't even occurred to me that Source would be .sbsar only. I was considering a Substance Live subscription so I could use the Source files to help learn, but I'm glad I read this first.

SBSAR files are, to be honest, virtually useless. With an SBS file I can take it apart, learn from it, adapt it, modify it, take the bits I like and leave the rest.  That surely is the whole point of procedural texturing.

By contrast Substance Share is full of SBS files, making it hugely more useful.

Well, I'm glad to find this confirmed here, although it is disappointing for the time being. Even though SBSAR files are not very useful, there is so much available through Substance Source that complaining about the flexibility seems tacky, although the overview definitely led me to expect SBS source files to be available.

I suppose I am spoiled by Substance Share.

Will SBS files be available on Substance Source after the store is closed and fully replaced by Source at the end of this year? It looks like the Database subscription is no longer available and the store has a message about closing on Dec 31st. I assume that the purchased materials offered SBS files and that the Source site will eventually fill that role.

We are looking into adding sbs files, it's more a technical issue now than a willingness issue.

Hi Jeremie,
have you got news about sbs files availability in Substance Source?

We are looking into adding sbs files, it's more a technical issue now than a willingness issue.

Just bumping this. Most of the stuff on source is useless as it stands if you are rendering anything other than a shader ball. The tiling range is really small and all that I have downloaded so far have their tiling parameters locked. Hopefully there is a solution to this soon!

Hi, I'm a new member of Substance Live.  I thought the subscription program was a great idea, and was very excited about the idea of getting 30 downloads a month from Substance Source.  I figured that not only do the materials look great, but in studying them I could learn a lot about how to use Substance Designer properly.

I'm very disappointed that the Substance Source materials are effectively useless in Substance Designer.  In opening up the Dirt Roots Red substance, I find that the controls are not only locked and unchangeable, but I can not copy anything into a new package so that I can tweak the settings.

At least from the substances I've looked at so far, they also seem to be such a low resolution that they aren't really usable.

Please consider making .sbs files available, or at the very least make them of sufficient resolution & quality that customers can make use of them in their projects.

Sbs will be available soon.
As for the resolution, all substances scale up to 2k or 4k. Make sure the parent resolution of your graph is set properly since the default in Designer is 256x256.

Sbs will be available soon.
As for the resolution, all substances scale up to 2k or 4k. Make sure the parent resolution of your graph is set properly since the default in Designer is 256x256.

Good, ill wait for a subscription until SBS files is available.