Author Topic: The Path to Substance Source  (Read 17250 times)

I have 120 showing up now.  Thank you very much.

So, I have SD 5.4 and B2M3 and also SP1 (that I almost never used... shame on me.) If I upgrade to SP2 I won't have the right to 60more downloads, but if I buy it I have.

I understand that you want me to pay more for SP2 and instead of the upgrade I'd buy it just for source?

At least, an upgrade should be worthy some 40 downloads... a bit less?

The licencing is becoming strange...

One of the things that stroke me when I became a customer was both the indie package for people who dont belong to big studios and the live account for paying as you'd use until you own.

I don't really understand all that has happened since then. I definetelly understand paying for upgrades but I don't understand why live users seem to get a better treatment than upfront payers.

I'm probably missing something in the communication as I really think you are a very fair company and you are really concerned with all your costumers.

Hi,

If you upgrade or buy a software from today, you won't get any download points. We offered them only for customers who already had licenses.

If you want to use Substance Source, you need to go through Substance Live.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

Hi!

Today I received 3 emails in which they say: "Go to Substance Source and log in with your current account information."

I can't log in, the error appears: "Wrong information Email or password are incorrect "

I have 120 downloads available but still I don't really understand your decision... You made it though and you make damn fine products so you still have a lot of credits on my side. Congratulations, I can say that Source, as everything else you pull off, looks really good.

Hi!

Today I received 3 emails in which they say: "Go to Substance Source and log in with your current account information."

I can't log in, the error appears: "Wrong information Email or password are incorrect "

Make sure you enter your email, not the username, when trying to login.
Contact us on the contact form if there's a problem.

Just log on source.allegorithmic.com

The process is still rolling up, so maybe the download will appear during the week-end. Contact us on Monday if that's not the case.

Cheers,

Just logged in to see a "180". Thats awsome! Thanks!!

P.S. Please, next time communicate this in the beginning ("Source is free for Live members, AND owners will get free downloads"). This will make everybody happy in the first place ;)
Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 04:55:25 am

Make sure you enter your email, not the username, when trying to login.
Contact us on the contact form if there's a problem.
Already I tried 10 times.
Don`t log in.

upd. Through another browser log in
Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 05:27:21 am

So basically what is happening is Allegorithmic is replacing Substance Database with Substance Source and including it at no extra charge (but with limited downloads) in Substance Live.  To prevent people who bought Substance programs outright from feeling left out (or pissed off), they have included a certain number of downloads to them.  How many companies add value to items that you already bought?  That is pretty awesome if you ask me.

So, what happens to the Substance Database license and content?  I haven't seen mention of how Substance Source works with SD.

So, what happens to the Substance Database license and content?  I haven't seen mention of how Substance Source works with SD.

We offer an upgrade path to Substance Database users.
Substance Source works in SD like any other substances, those are .sbsar files.

Cheers,

Nicolas,

Any details?  Is there a FAQ or post that I missed?

Thanks!

A FAQ is being put together and will be online shortly.

I also don't understand the demanding attitude of some people, except maybe for those who bought first versions of the software and now get nothing, but still, they never paid for Source, so why should they, or anybody, get a new product/service that they never paid for? Getting 180 credits is pretty generous, I think.

And to the person who said that it should be more advantageous for Allegorithmic if people paid the full price once, as opposed to paying monthly: do some simple math. In the "Pro" range, after 10 months it becomes more profitable (for Allegorithmic) if you pay monthly. After 2 years, for example, they get $2400, as opposed to $1000 if you pay once for the Pack. So of course they have the right to give Live customers more. And no, we're not Live subscrivers here at our studio. We bought the Packs, or individual software, depending on who needed what.

The only weird thing is that the guy who bought the software for us, has the licences (and so I presume the Source credits) at HIS account, even though I registered a separate Allegorithmic account with company e-mail. So we, actual artists, have no access to Source. But I hope our guy sorts this out with Allegorithmic via e-mail :)

I also don't understand the demanding attitude of some people,

It's not demanding. No one is demanding they'd be given anything. I for once, just wanted to be clarified about why the decision was like it was, separating Live from non Live users. I honestly didn't even know there was such a separation as if you'd own every recent version of the Software you would be a Live user. So, I still don't quite understand it but I'm not demanding, I'm respecting the decision and even grateful for my credits that are probably way more than I will need to use.

And to the person who said that it should be more advantageous for Allegorithmic if people paid the full price once, as opposed to paying monthly: do some simple math. In the "Pro" range, after 10 months it becomes more profitable (for Allegorithmic) if you pay monthly. After 2 years, for example, they get $2400, as opposed to $1000

I also don't understand this statement. When I bought my own Substance Suite, with Painter, Designer and Bitmap 2 Material Live, I payed for it all up at one go. The alternative I had at the time was to subscribe to a "rent to own" system. After enough payments, I'd own the software, I wouldn't keep on paying to use it. I was paying less money but upfront which is guaranteed money. People subscribing to the rent to own system were paying only one month more or so, but they had the right to cancel it or pause it indefinetelly. There's a risk for Allegorithmic here while my money was already theirs.

I can understand that one more month is more money, but that is not as you picture it. You have a ratio of 100% to 240%.

From what I read from you it now seems that Live is a different thing today though, you keep paying forever and you don't own it in the end. Is that what changed?

If that is the case, then I understand the difference in treatment and I don't even think Substance Source justifies such a thing.

The only thing I am sorry is to have my Substance Painter at V1. I didn't use it so far and when I do (which I will, it will already be outdated... but that's my own responsibility.)