Author Topic: New shelf: can't create folder  (Read 6525 times)

I appreciate the new shelf, it is a huge improvement. However, is there any particular reason why it's not possible to create a new folder by right-clicking and selecting "New folder"? This is standard practice in any file browser.

The current way of creating a new folder at the import stage is overly convoluted in my opinion. And the logic when it creates a new folder instead of a keyword (or prefix, whatever the difference is...) is "not clear" at best. Prefix and path in the same box? On top of of that the whole thing is undocumented.

So lets say I want to create a new folder called materials\MyOwn and place the materials in there which are already in the shelf (from a previous version). How do I do this? I have to re-import them? I followed the instructions in the video to import a non-needed asset, just to create a folder, but it did not create a folder at all. So how do I create a folder and place my assets in there? How can such a simple thing be so difficult?

You can't drag and drop a material into a folder inside SP. But you can do this in windows Explorer...

You can't delete a texture from a folder inside SP, even though it is not used in the project. You can delete it in windows Explorer, but it will still show up in SP unless you restart it.

And lastly, when I create a new folder on disk (using windows Explorer), the new folder does not show up in the shelf, even after restarting SP. Seriously?

You would expect you can right click on a material, texture, etc. and edit the search keywords, but no.

Right clicking a folder should give you a context menu with handy stuff.

When renaming a new folder, both the new name and the old name are visible when you type, looking jumbled. You can even see this in the feature video.

I have a bunch of material presets (in folder "shelf/presets/materials") but if I go to that folder in windows Explorer, that folder is empty. The saga continues.

I imported a material (just to create a directory, which failed) and the material is now visible in SP (but not in the directory I told it to go, see above), but it is nowhere to be seen on the disk (windows Explorer). Right clicking on the material it states it is in "shelf/materials" but the directory structure in Explorer is "shelf/allegorithmic" which is inconsistent with how it is displayed in SP. I just want to delete the material but right clicking on it does not give me the option to delete it, even though it is not used in the scene. This whole thing is just plain unclear and undocumented.

I get the impression that you do this whole folder thing internally with a json and it is not a real folder structure at all. Bugs everywhere.

This whole folder thing is a fail in my opinion. Please improve. The rest is great though :-)
Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:43:24 am

Hi,

Resources are not monitored in real time within Painter YET, meaning that you shouldn't move/change resources in the Explorer while Painter is running. Doing it will cause unexpected behaviors such as duplicating assets, etc.

We released this new version of the shelf because we think it's a huge step forward compared to the old shelf, but it does not mean it's finished. Most of the stories you mentioned are in our backlog.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

Ok, I understand.

So in the mean time, how do I create a new folder and place my materials in it?

Ok, I understand.

There are 2 solutions:
- when Painter is not started: just go to the shelf in your Documents, in Materials, and create a folder. You can add and move the assets as you want in the Explorer, as long as Painter is not running.
- if Painter is running, you can create new folders when importing assets: in the new import window, type the name of the folder in the prefix field and it will create it. Check our tutorial video which explains it.

Cheers,

Ok, I understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa23w1XRbZ4

Thanks, but I have viewed that video 3 times already and it did not create a folder as advertised.

Also, creating a folder manually on disk when SP is not running simply does not work. Try it and you will see. Bug?

If the folder is empty if won't show up in the tree-view. If you import in ressources in it it should start to appear.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

But the folder wasn't empty. I placed a material in it and it still didn't show up.

Or you mean I have to make the folder, and then import and select the folder name?
Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:56:52 pm

If you want to import materials il your own folder, you need to:
- go to Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/shelf (the folder is already there)
- open the Materials folder
- create a new folder inside the materials folder. For exemple "My folder"
- put the materials (sbsar) in "My folder"
- launch SP

You can create as many folders as you want, as long as they are in the parent folder "Materials" of the shelf.

Cheers,

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.

It might also be worth noting that there are two material folders when viewed in Substance Painter:

allegorithmic/materials
shelf/materials

Perhaps it would be a good idea not to mix up terminology in the allegorithmic programming department as I mentioned before here.

According to the documentation here, the shelf is the window with all the goodies on it inside SP. But with this new folder structure, you imply that there is a directory called "shelf" which has a sub-directory called "materials", which would make sense. But then there is another directory with materials which is not inherited from the shelf (allegorithmic), but that one is visible on the SP shelf window as well.

Do you see what I am getting at? It just confuses the issue.

Additionally, I noticed that drag and dropping items onto the shelf is not supported anymore. Is this intended?

Additionally, I noticed that drag and dropping items onto the shelf is not supported anymore. Is this intended?
It's still supported. See : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Impossible+to+drag+and+drop+files+into+the+shelf
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks, that did the trick.

It would be nice if it automatically sets the type depending on the folder you drop it into though.