Author Topic: Substance Painter 2.4.0 Export textures are black.  (Read 16804 times)

Sure No Problem, at least you have found "somethin" you can look into :D

Well my GPU at my homeworkstation is a "Radeon Pro Duo" .. means 2x 4GB ram.. there is the issue i guess.
Doesnt matter if i enable/disable Crossfire or whatsoever.. at home i am working just with one monitor.

tbh: i am happy when i got rid of that card ;)

Just as an update:

With the GTX 980 TI and Latest Drivers it seems to be stable now.
Same goes for All Quadro Series.
Working the WHOLE DAY with SP: no BIG issues right now.. ..well none related to Texture baking/exporting.

issues so far:

Multimonitor (2 displays in FullHD) let the Particle brushes stop at 1.037 exactly with the NVidia Cards.
So no Particle brushes work at all.
Singlemonitor Works.

Sometimes the NormalMap - Texture painting doesnt work as expected. It displays the NormalTexture on my brush absolutely straight, but at click its rotated slightly around 10° sometimes... but ok. I try to find a repro for that.

Anyway Thanks.
This Version fixed and did safe my actual project and me! (you know when the pressure comes from the bosses to finalize something and you need to tell them : i cant :P )

Maybe related or not. I friend of mine reported that one of the last Nvidia updates turned on SLI which he had for sure turned off. It did not do that on my update.

Sure No Problem, at least you have found "somethin" you can look into :D

Well my GPU at my homeworkstation is a "Radeon Pro Duo" .. means 2x 4GB ram.. there is the issue i guess.
Doesnt matter if i enable/disable Crossfire or whatsoever.. at home i am working just with one monitor.

tbh: i am happy when i got rid of that card ;)

Just as an update:

With the GTX 980 TI and Latest Drivers it seems to be stable now.
Same goes for All Quadro Series.
Working the WHOLE DAY with SP: no BIG issues right now.. ..well none related to Texture baking/exporting.

issues so far:

Multimonitor (2 displays in FullHD) let the Particle brushes stop at 1.037 exactly with the NVidia Cards.
So no Particle brushes work at all.
Singlemonitor Works.

Sometimes the NormalMap - Texture painting doesnt work as expected. It displays the NormalTexture on my brush absolutely straight, but at click its rotated slightly around 10° sometimes... but ok. I try to find a repro for that.

Anyway Thanks.
This Version fixed and did safe my actual project and me! (you know when the pressure comes from the bosses to finalize something and you need to tell them : i cant :P )
Ha yeah, even if it doesn't seem to be having any effect, SLI and/or Crossfire have to be disabled for Substance Painter.
If your particles stop by themselves, try pressing spacebar to relaunch the animation. Sometimes they froze.

Maybe related or not. I friend of mine reported that one of the last Nvidia updates turned on SLI which he had for sure turned off. It did not do that on my update.
Thanks for letting us know !
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Well, I pushed my system a bit beyond what the new SP (zip version) could take. In the past I have been able to run Daz Studio and do Iray renders while having SP opened. This seems to be hit or miss now.

I did a reboot due to video issues. I opened SP, email and browser... not much more on the computer. OH, GPU-Z. I watched my Titan X VRAM use. I opened the project and VRAM was at about 8GB. I didn't do anything and VRAM climbed to around 10GB use. After doing a few color tweaks I noticed VRAM was hovering around 12GB. Well, SP is playing better with other applications but it's still a bit dicey. I have not had the problem with the black textures yet.

Either way, I bought a Titan X and run it as my main card so I would have enough VRAM to run more than one program which needed it. I suspect that around 11GB was available when I opened and loaded my project file. Then it filled to the max. Gosh... this isn't what I expected.

I mentioned it earlier, but wow, this is rough. Perhaps a setting to limit VRAM use would help? I really need to test my texture outputs in Daz Studio using Iray in it... along with the tweaks to get what I want in Studio Surface settings. Closing one program to use the other is a time killer.

I do find if I open Daz Studio first and the SP, it plays together better. Either way, it seems to me that SP using all available VRAM on a GTX Titan X is perhaps a bit overkill?

I mentioned it earlier, but wow, this is rough. Perhaps a setting to limit VRAM use would help? I really need to test my texture outputs in Daz Studio using Iray in it... along with the tweaks to get what I want in Studio Surface settings. Closing one program to use the other is a time killer.

I do find if I open Daz Studio first and the SP, it plays together better. Either way, it seems to me that SP using all available VRAM on a GTX Titan X is perhaps a bit overkill?
Implementing this kind of setting is very complicated in our case.
We assume we are alone and take what we need. It's not overkill, it's necessary to ensure good performances and avoid long loading because of transfers between ram and vram. Substance Painter is not a typical program. :)
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Implementing this kind of setting is very complicated in our case.
We assume we are alone and take what we need. It's not overkill, it's necessary to ensure good performances and avoid long loading because of transfers between ram and vram. Substance Painter is not a typical program. :)

Thanks for this response. It do understand.

Of interest, SP has been running now since yesterday afternoon, also Daz Studio. I've been doing lots of exports and lots of tweaks in Daz Studio. Also, doing Iray renders over in DS, texturing the product for release. When I first started, I did open SP first and then DS. I find it normally works better to do this the other way around. However, over time it does seem that SP has become more friendly, allowing more ram usage by DS. So things did 'adjust', it just took a lot longer for them to play nicely together.

With the public release, I would have positively had issues by now and wound up back in the slow down while creating the bad black textures. So, this build in the zip file seems to have corrected my problems. Thanks for the quick fix! Yes, I do know you folks are awesome. :)

Still an issue for me on 4.2.1  :(
Any news on an update for us on deadlines?
W9100 GPU on a win10/64 64 Gb RAM/Dual E5-2680-3 2.5 GhZ Intel CPU-system
When I get the export to work, I have missing parts of the textures if I use mask by colour selection/ID map:

Working on the bike enclosed, and when I manage to get exporting to work, I get exports like the tyre-base-colour - there's a Tyre-tread missing between the lower tyre and the upper rims.

//The zip solves the export issue and exports all masked items as well
// erm.. nope. Best bet is a reboot and then just export everything in one go - I wanted to export bit by bit because I need tidy folders
// Opening my file on an NVidia card-workstation with a much lower spec is a CTD-fest
If I can't export my textures, I will in effect have wasted a lot of billable hours on non-beta software. I have to admit I am more than a little unhappy about that.
Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:02:37 pm

We have a new version of Substance Painter coming out in a few weeks (1/2 maximum).
It will include a lot of bug fixes, especially regarding AMD GPUs.

So I suggest waiting for it and report back on this thread if you still have issues.
-----------

I also had this problem and none of the above fixes worked for me, however, I made a copy of the substance file and named it "testing" and then exported the textures from there and it worked perfectly. Leaving this to help anyone else out.