Author Topic: Substance Painter 2.4.0 Export textures are black.  (Read 16803 times)

HEy,

its quit annoying..

the "black textures at export" are back :(

I have to sometimes delete 10 times the black exported textures, changing the padding mode to anything else than infinite and back to infinite and sooooometimes it works.

Procedures i have done so far, but it works only sometimes:

Export = black
Delete the files in the export folder
Change padding and back to infinite
Export = black
Delete the files in the export folder
Change padding and back to inifinite
Export = black
... 3 more times and it works...

not touching anything else in the SP

Quicker fix is sometimes:
Export = black
delete files
change padding
Export = black
delete files
save project
Export = black
change padding
delete files
Export = works

see attached log file

thanks and regArts
Dee

Any other working workaround handy?
This is absolutely annoying tbh! :(

Hey :)

I tried now for 2 days to export textures of a model and ALWAYS they are black.

The model is an interior scene of a "train" ..
Therefore the Faces are pointing inwards...

Everytime, they are black...
I tried all solutions found in the forums so far, changing/swapping dialation, png tga .. etc pp.

Please have a look at the screenshots..
If you would need it i can supply you the SP Project

Thanks in advance
Dee

Edit: Yes i know the Element - Inside 004 is missing an Emissive map... -.-

Do you guys reproduce the issue on our sample project too ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Tried to repro that with metabee somethin model from share...
can not reproduce..

ough man ... so we have to check over the models, which export for ZBrush, NDo, C4D, Max, Softimage correctly except for SP.

damn...

Like i said, just check especially inwards pointing faces.

Would be great if i could send you a WeTransfer...
With the project and the first bunch of textures..

The point is in this case (as seen on the screenshot):

When i load up the project for the first time and directly export the texture sets.. they appear as you see on the screenshot..
everything EXCEPT the Normal and Basecolor is exported correctly....
If you do nothing than export again.. everything is black and stays black.. doesnt matter if you change dialation etc...

Thank you

I am having this at times. It looks to me like an issue with VRAM. I see when this happens, on my GTX Titan X, VRAM use goes to 11.5 GB and sits there. It takes a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g time for the black textures to export and even loops back through some of them. At the moment, I'm texturing a model with a couple dozen texture sets. It takes an hour or so for it to create these wrong textures.

To fix the problem, I wait until it finishes, make sure the project it saved, close substance and reopen the same project and then it exports just fine. After making some random number of changes and then exporting again... maybe it will work... completing the texture sets correctly in a minute or two.... or maybe I'll be back to the black takes forever situation again. Tis a painful experience.

Oh, this is on 2.4.1... latest update. I've not messed with defaults. This project was started with an earlier version but is showing no issues when loading.

A couple of other notes on this issue:

If I leave SP open overnight, it so far... about 3 to 5 times, always hangs on doing the black textures.

If I try to open Photoshop while SP is opened, there is a video error even though I have PS set to only use 4GB of the 12GB of VRAM on the GTX Titan X.

I'm thinking this is some type of VRAM memory leak or that it's just not releasing memory correctly at times.

I personally would like to be able to set the amount of VRAM available to SP within the program settings. I do need to run other software while doing my texturing. Fighting over VRAM isn't fun. Or, alternatively, have the option to tell SP which video card to use. I could give it all of a GTX 980Ti for instance. Meanwhile, I still wait for this set of bad textures to finish. HAH!

We tried that on different machines...
Quadro 6000
Quadro k5000

AMD geforce 980ti
And many laptops

The point is:
If i just open the scene.. export directly the textures everything is fine... 3 times .. 4 times etc..

If i just paint onto the diffuse simply and export.. textures on normal and diffuse are broken. AO etc are fine. If i export again.. ALL are broken.
Save project with the changes..
Export again.. SP is not responding.
Restart SP .. Reopen project.. export broken
Restart computer, reopen SP, load project, export textures: fine..
And again same behavior like from the beginning.

Thanks
Dennis

PS i cant get a report if SP hangs!
Maybe you can send me an NDA and debug build with more breakpoints to catch that bug?

Hey guys, can you give a try at this build and let me know how it goes ?
Just extract the archive somewhere and run the "Substance Painter" executable :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ffm80xvt2hbc38/Substance%20Painter%202-2.4.1.146-msvc14-x64-standard-full.zip?dl=1

Please note this is a test build which is not mean for producing assets. We do not recommend saving your projects with it.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thank you very much, feedback will follow tonight or tomorrow morning!

Much appreciated
Dennis

Please note this is a test build which is not mean for producing assets. We do not recommend saving your projects with it.

Is this more just a disclaimer or is something known to not work?

I'm actually creating variations of materials on the same item and save each out as a new project. I think I'll give save a try as I really won't be losing much. Also, it seems to take a while at times on my system before it falls into this bad mode.

Not successful...

I tried to export again..
Same behavior.. at first everything was stable.. did around 3 exports in a row, after 1hr of work: black again.

Send a bugreport from the inbuild bug report feature incl the maps as zip.

Regards
Dennis

Restarted the App, Reloaded the Project.. export ok...
I will just let the app open for some hours and do a re-export again....
Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:58:03 pm

Well, with the new zip version, so far so good. I started using it this morning. I'm still using it and it has not had an error. Also, I can now open Photoshop at the same time and I can see that VRAM is being shared with PS and I have no compliant from PS when using OpenGL giving it up to 4GB VRAM. I see 2GB used by PS immediately. When SP is opened, I do see that VRAM is pretty much sustained at around 12GB.... with short times of it dropping down to 8GB. When I close PS, I can see VRAM use drop to around 10GB for a bit and then it seems that SP starts using it again. FYI, I had about 2GB VRAM in use by other programs before starting SP.

I'll keep running with this and let you know if I do hit the problem again.

Well, with the new zip version, so far so good. I started using it this morning. I'm still using it and it has not had an error. Also, I can now open Photoshop at the same time and I can see that VRAM is being shared with PS and I have no compliant from PS when using OpenGL giving it up to 4GB VRAM. I see 2GB used by PS immediately. When SP is opened, I do see that VRAM is pretty much sustained at around 12GB.... with short times of it dropping down to 8GB. When I close PS, I can see VRAM use drop to around 10GB for a bit and then it seems that SP starts using it again. FYI, I had about 2GB VRAM in use by other programs before starting SP.

I'll keep running with this and let you know if I do hit the problem again.
Glad to read it's working for you now. :)

Not successful...

I tried to export again..
Same behavior.. at first everything was stable.. did around 3 exports in a row, after 1hr of work: black again.

Send a bugreport from the inbuild bug report feature incl the maps as zip.

Regards
Dennis

Restarted the App, Reloaded the Project.. export ok...
I will just let the app open for some hours and do a re-export again....
At this point, we think it's starting to be related to other issues we noticed with AMD GPUs that we are currently working on. Really sorry for the troubles, bear with us until we are able to publish fixes. :)
-----------