Author Topic: Using a substance inside a MDL network  (Read 4382 times)

Hi,
I'm having some problems with exported mdl's that use a substance that contains the tile_generator_color with 'input_image'  set as the pattern type.
The output in the substance render view looks fine, but when i export the mdl preset and use it in other applications the diffuse colour is all wrong. It almost looks like a gamma problem, but I'm not so sure.

Here is a direct comparison from the iray/substance output and the output i get from another application using iray and the exported mdl

Here is the same mdl material with the tile_generator_color node removed from the substance in both the substance 3d view and in external iray

Hey, this is weird... do you mind sharing you sbs ?

Hi Vincent,
No Problem. I have attached a cut down version of the sbs and texture that displays the problem.

I've since discovered that a new release of iview with a newer version of iray does not display the problem. This is great, but I need to be able to use the mdl exported from SD in older versions as well, so i need to find out why this is happening.

do you mind exporting with dependencies (I have some files missing)

The only dependency missing should be the source texture. You should be able to just put the previously supplied jpg texture as the input image.

ha sorry didn't noticed the jpg going to have a look

the mdl as I see it seems weird: I recommend you start from a preset (metal roughness for example)
what is the final software it's supposed to be used ?

I think it's because the tonemapping is not the same in SD and in your application (Iview ?).

We use a very simple tonemapper in SD (just a gamma 2.2 conversion) whereas the tone mapping in Iview or in other application (3ds max, maya..etc) have more options by default that give a different result.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

It is definitely not the tonemapper in iview/iray. I have tried all tonemapper options and I get the same resulkt with the SD exported mdl, and this only happens when I have the tile_generator_color node in the substance network.

the mdl as I see it seems weird: I recommend you start from a preset (metal roughness for example)
what is the final software it's supposed to be used ?
Hi Vincent,
The base mdl may be a bit weird as I built it from scratch, however I note that if I switch it for a preset like the metal roughness, the problem becomes even worse. See the attached image (this was rendered in iview).

The intended software is a set of proprietary Reality Server applications that use iray as the renderer.

can yo usee the one you did based on the preset?

can yo usee the one you did based on the preset?

I assume you want to see the sbs? This one uses the previously supplied jpg as input. I have inserted the physically based (BaseColor/Metallic/Roughness) preset.

Hey, it's because you made some weird connections.
Did you watch the tutorials we made about MDL?

here is how you could set it: