Author Topic: Trouble getting sbsar running in Max2017  (Read 1487 times)

Have access to Max2017 now and the first thing I tried was adding sbsars to a material, am finding some work and some don't. Am using substance 5.4.0, I'm guessing I'm using certain nodes that max doesn't like? or is there a way to export an sbsar as max friendly?

Based off other threads it seems that you can go to preferences>project and adjust it from v5 to v4. That apparently shows which nodes cause conflict. Though it's not quite that simple, like here it highlights blend nodes. So you have to explore their paths and figure it out.

In one blend it is clearly a tile generator that is causing the issue but in the top left all I have is white noise, transform2D, blur and levels. Those are pretty basic. I tried swapping white noise for clouds and it still conflicted. So any kind of noise/grunge is a no-no? So we're super limited it seems as to what can currently load in max, I was hoping it would be the really expensive crazy formula nodes that would be the problem but nope, even basic nodes can cause conflict.

I know you can export/save bitmaps for a temp fix but that's problematic when working in studio on large projects.

Only the nodes higlighted in yellow are incompatible with v4 Substance engines. You don't need to check the nodes that are connected before (the top left section marked "Noise" in your graph is compatible).
The blend nodes in your graph are probably incompatible because they use a blending mode which was added in v5 (divide, overlay, screen or soft light).

Thanks for the info, interesting about the blend modes. Hadn't thought of that, I also figured out that FX maps are not v5 compatible either. Autodesk seem pretty clueless about this don't they? Perhaps I should go to their forums and add another thread about this. Doesn't sound like anything is coming soon, not even the allegorithmic plugin that is in the works.

I also figured out that FX maps are not v5 compatible either.
Like with the blend nodes, some new features were added to FxMaps in v5, and only those new features are not compatible. See the Substance Engine Compatibility section in the FxMaps node documentation here for a list : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SD5/FX-Map+node

Perhaps I should go to their forums and add another thread about this.

I think the best place for support about the Substance integration is here.
We are in the process of changing the way the integration in 3DSMax is done so that we can release updates on our website without having to release them with the updates of 3DSMax and having to sync with Autodesk's release calendar.