Author Topic: Substance Painter stops saving the project and crashes to a Blue Screen  (Read 2143 times)

Hello!

I have some serious issues with Substance Painter 2 and don't know what else I can try to fix this.
Whenever I work with Painter and use a material, I can't save my project anymore.
Sometimes Substance Painter crashes to the Desktop, sometimes the whole system melts down to a Blue Screen.

I'm working on a project right now where I was able to create some fill layers, masks etc. and it worked fine.
As soon as I'm using a material from my shelf things mess up completely.

I checked out various known issues already - nothing fits.
Attached all the log files I could find.

Using Windows 10 and an NVidia 970 btw.

Thanks in advance!
PS: Please let me know if you need anything else

If you get blue screens, it's unlikely our software is responsible. It's more likely related to a driver issue.
I would suggest trying to downgrade the drivers of your GPU for example.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I can try to downgrade the GPU driver.
But still - I ONLY get a blue screen when using Substance Painter.
Actually never had a blue screen before - the system is usually really stable.

Also, I don't always get a blue screen. Sometimes Painter crashes to the desktop.
And that always happens when I use any material from Shelf.

I also have Substance Designer where I use materials from the shelf - no problems there.

Hi again!

I downgrade the GPU driver to a February version - same issue.
I'm on the latest Substance Painter version.

These are the steps to reproduce the problem:
1) I got a project set up and saved.
2) I add any substance material to the project
3) Try to save under a new name
4) Substance crashes
5) When i continue working (reopen substance, do some more stuff) the computer crashes to a blue screen.

As mentioned before, this only happens with Substance Painter. Designer and any other software work perfectly.
Plus I never had blue screen before with my current installation.
Already re-installed Substance Painter - no luck, same issue.

Is there anything else I can try to get around this?
I'm a bit under pressure to finish a project and really need Substance Painter for that.

Thanks in advance!

Does this happen only to this one project, or does it happen even for a brand new project?

If only this one file, can you get it to the Substance team so they can take a look at it directly?
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Hey!
Thanks for the quick reply!

I just double checked - it happens with every project I create in Substance Painter.
From what I can tell, things get weird whenever I use masks.

For this test project I did the following:
- imported a mesh and added a material layer from the shelf
- saved the project a couple of times - works fine
- added a mask and selected a couple of polyons
- added a material from the shelf beneath the mask layer (inside a folder)
- tried to save under a new name
- project doesn't save -> Substance Painter crashes

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Short update:
I have the same issue after updating to Substance Painter 2.4

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Sure!
See attachment!

I see that you are still running on the latest drivers. What version did you try exactly ?
As for your GPU model, we have multiple 970 here at work and don't encounter any BSOD like you do.
-----------

Hello!
Yes, after I tried an older driver without success I updated it again. Didn't make any difference.

When I downgraded I used this driver:
Version 361.91, 15.02.2016

But the issue was the same.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Would you be able to try a different GPU ?
That would help isolate further the issue.
-----------

No, sorry - I only got this GPU.

I noticed in Task Manager that the CPU and memory usage  of Substance Painter continues to increase once I try to save my project.
Just in case that hints to a solution.

Is there any kind of log I can check to see if a driver crashed or something?
I also unplugged all USB devices (besides Keyboard + Mouse) to check if that would help.
Right now I'm checking my system for old drivers.

It's really weird.
Is there some known issue/incompatibility list of hardware or software that conflicts with Substance Painter? Maybe I got something on my system that creates an issue?

One thought:
Is it possible that Painter crashes because the Shelf didn't yet fully create all thumbnails?
I'm using a huge library. Mostly stuff from GameTextures (and thumbnail generation is insanely slow - almost a minute per material)

You can try moving away from the shelfs your default database to see if that helps indeed.
-----------