Author Topic: Windshield wipers effect simulating by textures  (Read 1789 times)

Hey everyone,

I was thinking quite some time how to simulate windshield wipers in UE4. I came across an idea that I could expose one parameter which would be controlling opacity mask on the windshield for where on the windshield should dirt or water or anything be. So when the wiper moves I change the opacity so there is only backround. I have already made it but I think it is too expensive, since for every value it has to generate whole new texture and since it is made for windshield wipers it has to be done quite fast a lot of times. I did not import it to UE4 but previewed in Substance Player and it obviously was not smooth. I know this is more of a game design thing but I had to ask.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I was thinking quite some time how to simulate windshield wipers in UE4. I came across an idea that I could expose one parameter which would be controlling opacity mask on the windshield for where on the windshield should dirt or water or anything be. So when the wiper moves I change the opacity so there is only backround. I have already made it but I think it is too expensive, since for every value it has to generate whole new texture and since it is made for windshield wipers it has to be done quite fast a lot of times. I did not import it to UE4 but previewed in Substance Player and it obviously was not smooth. I know this is more of a game design thing but I had to ask.

Thanks

Hi,

This is definitely and effect that would be best done in shader. You are correct that changing the substance parameters per frame would be very expensive. For changing textures parameters at runtime, you would want to do this slowly over time or at key points where there is a pause in action.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja